SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Close call in Chelyabinsk . . . !!!!!

Steve Ward

My wife said last week that she saw two trails like the ones shown in Russia while going to work at about 7-25am and asked me if they could have been meteor trails,but i'd totally forgot all about it till i saw this tragic news this morning.

The ones the wife saw were close together and large spiral clouds??

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thoughts go out to the injured , especially the youngsters.

but it is amazing video footage , little bit coincidental as to the bigger one approaching tonight eh? this on will drive the conspiracy theorists nuts , how long before "it was a ufo" starts popping up.

edit: meant to ask does anyone know if this was just one or was there more than one? it's just the light levels look different in a lot of footage?

I dread to think what would have happened if the shockwave was centred over a large city. Probability dictates that that scenrio is inevitable at some point in the future.

This was bad enough but that's a terrible though - pretty sure there will be a documentay soon.

I'm curious if this event will finally spark the powers that be, to take meteors/astronomy more seriously. More large radar sites and less light pollution will make it a bit easier to track potential impactors. Granted you can't see all of them due to sheer numbers, but every little bit helps.

It may benefit you folks in the light polluted UK to get some of those light shade covers for your street lights that direct the light downwards instead of up.

Good thing this event didn't happen in Italy or many astronomers would be running for cover for not predicting the meteor.

Although this event has been of great interest to us in the astronomical community - you gotta have some empathy for those who have been affected by this.

Seen a lot of rubbish already about UFO's, its only UFO if its unidentified, I think the evidence is pretty conclusive.

Does seem a remarkable coincidence with tonights 2012 BA 14 though....

Archived