SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar Valentine

Well, that has to be the best Valentines I could have hoped for. After spending yet another day bemoaning the clouded sky, there was finally a break. On my way home from work I spotted the crescent moon floating in amongst the clouds and ran home like a giddy child. This was the first time since I got my scope that the moon has been up and visible after dark. All I can say is, this is what I'd been waiting for. Jupiter was lovely, M42 was enchanting but The Moon, my lunar Valentine, was sublime. Her pock-marked face was probably one of the loveliest thing I've ever seen.

What made the whole evening even better was, the whole of the view to the South rapidly cleared and I managed to spend an hour or so taking in what the Southern vista has to offer.

I can't wait until my birthday, when the Moon will be high in the sky for most of the night and I'll be able to see more of her beautiful features.

Until then, my love.

I spent about an hour observing the moon tonight used my talx2 barlow for the first time and was amazed how close i could get and the detail i could see with the 6mm eyepiece and jupiter and the orion nebula also looked good think I'll get a moon map next.

Archived