Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thrown to the Wolves!

Astroman

Friday night past, I was nominated to be the President of the Saguaro Astronomy Club in Phoenix. "Elections" to be held at November's meeting, but so far I am unopposed, and we haven't had an actual choice to make in 9 years, so it looks like I'm it.

I have a couple things I'd like to get accomplished, but if I just survive, I'll be happy. My agenda includes getting people more involved in public and school star parties and making public use of our club loaner scopes.

Wish me luck, if it becomes official.

You may have been unopposed AM, but I think it was probably a foregone conclusion you would have been selected even if there had been two dozen candidates. You see, I have experience of this sort of thing, and I venture to say that American Astro clubs, are not much different to Uk ones, in as much as, there is always the guy who is more than willing to do most of the work. Also, there are the rest of them, who are more than willing to let him do it. Oh, you will get the odd one, who out of guilt, or conscience, might offer to do some job or other, but you kindly decline , because you know fine well, it might take twice as long with that help.

So, AM, you will go into the job, and give it 110%, you will make a great fist of it, because you do it because you love it, and they all know it.

I think we all would like to see some pictorials of the work you do. Especially out in the schools, I suppose it will be a smaller version of NASA's Outreach Program. Anyway, keep posting your activities AM, and the very best of luck mate.

Ron.

Thanks for all your kind comments, I appreciate it.

I'd love to post some pics of the public gatherings Ron, but I'm usually too busy showing the sky to take pictures. Rosie doesn't usually go, except for the Canyon. And, well, it's generally too dark for pics, eh? :( Also, I can try to get people motivated, that's all. When I get going, many of you know of my passion. This can be quite infectious, under the right circumstances, so I'm hopeful. If I fail, I fail. I already know most of the members, so the key will be the not-so-entrenched-in-their-own-observing-list crowd. :smiley:

I'm beginning to look forward to it, which invariably means someone else will step forward and save my a$$. :evil:

• 2 weeks later...

Drag them screaming to the scope and force them to look :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

I am confident that you will find a more subtle way of promoting astronomy to the masses, good luk for Friday Steve

naz

Well done Steve, I am sure everyone involved will soon realize what a sensible choice they have made.

Good luck buddy, and I hope everything turns out Rosie for you. That was intended, but if you remove the pun part, the sentiment behind it is meant. All the luck in the world to you.

Ron. :(

Archived