SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sold my Takahashi FS60C for ... this ......

Hi all after about 5 miniutes deliberation I sold my Takahashi FS60C to an IIS's down here thats been hounding me for a while to sell it to him .

Just before Christmas came along one of these came up for a steal and I could not resist getting it , so I sold the Tak ( hard to do ) but that was the the only way I could afford this .

Enjoy the photos .

Brian.

post-18525-0-96106300-1360826944_thumb.j

post-18525-0-34888500-1360827020_thumb.j

post-18525-0-79221400-1360827062_thumb.j

post-18525-0-73204100-1360827192_thumb.j

post-18525-0-35358700-1360827271_thumb.j

I could not wait to try this lovely Coranado " SolarMax 40 " out , and have only used it twice so far as the new scope curse is alive and kicking down here as well .

But the couple of times have been spectacular !! , the promonances easily visible , and if I turn the elation tuner the surface features pop out , awsome stuff .

I did not like the scope mounted on its side on my GSO/AstroTech alt/az mount so I knocked up a 90 degree bracket at work to mount the scope down flat .

Its a lot better to use now as the "sol ranger" ( that works very well ) is now easier to see , its a sweetly designed finder scope , really safe to use .

One thing I have noticed in the 2 times I have used this is the Coranado eyepieces do show promonances better than standard eyepieces , the 12.5 mm Coranado is better in this scope than my 12.5mm ortho , 10mm Vixen LV and 11mm Nagler , And up untill now I always thought the Coranado eyepieces were a bit of a sales pitch ?? just goes to show , the proof is in the pudding ( viewing ) they work very well.

All in all I am very satisfied .

I will knock up a side by side arrangement so I can mount this baby beside my Takahashi SKY90 using my Lunt Hershell wedge so I have Ha and white light side by side on my Vixen Polaris mount .. heaven .

More to follow .

Brian.

Thanks Michael , these little Ha scopes do perform very well , dont they ?.

On the imaging side I have to wait for the dry season to arrive in about may-june to try it out using my Atik 314E ,as the weather changes here at this time of the year so fast and I would hate to get all my imaging gear wet ,,, ouch !

I look forward to seeing how you go , as I will definatly need to pick some brains on how its done , I have read that solar imaging is totally differant to dark sky imagimg ?? a lot harder to capture detail .

This Ha viewing is addictive , I cant wait for another look at Sol , she is ALIVE!!!! .

Brian.

Solar imaging is like planetary. You need to take a sequence of very short exposures and stack them to freeze seeing. For solar imaging I use a ZWOptical ASI130MM. This has a 1/2" video format chip (bit noisy, but OK for solar and lunar). If everything goes right you get results like this:

H-alpha shot January 12, 2013

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Brian

Must have been painful parting with the Tak. Still, I` m sure there will be no regrets when the time comes to double stack the

coronado.

hypnotoad...............................

I think you did the right thing. At the risk of upsetting everyone I think the FS60 is long past its sell by date and Tak should do better. The inadequacy of the blue correction is intensely obvious to anyone who's tried imaging with it. I've processed images from two FS60s and been thoroughly underwhelmed. I'm far from anti Tak and have the FSQ85 and 106 at the moment but I try to remain objective. The word Takahashi on its own is not enough to win my admiration.

Sorry!

Olly

• 1 month later...

Its been a while , been working 12 hour days for months now and cant be bothered with my computer , no offence people .

I have made the side by side to use the solarmax 40 and SKY90 on the same mount , my Vixen SP a great set up the few times I have used it , here it is and I hope you all enjoy .

Ouch ! olly you need to get down here and come to one of our dark sky nights and see the southern milky way with my ( now sold FS60C) and 31mm 82* Celestron Ultima LX .

But thats impossable now , so it looks like the SKY 90 will be the scope of choice , awsome !.

Sorry to get side tracked .

Brian.

post-18525-0-47023500-1367403662_thumb.j

Archived