Narrowband

Baader Classic Q 2.25x barlow.

lankywolf

Hi All, I'm thinking of getting the Baader Classic Q 2.25x barlow for use with my Skyliner 200P & BST starguider 12mm & 18mm EP's (which are in the post) :-)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-q-225x-barlow.html

I've been trying to find some write up's, but haven't found much info on it so far. Has anybody had any experience using this barlow or heard of anyone elses experiences, or should I be looking at another barlow as my budget can probably go up to about £70. I don't currently have a high power EP and am torn between getting this barlow which will give me a decent range of mags up to 225x with my existing EP's or just buying a higher powered eyepiece instead (probably a BST starguider 8mm or a Celestron X-cel LX 7mm).

I'm not sure which way to jump, help!!!

The Baader Q-Turret 1.25" barlow has excellent optics in a simple but effective body. So far I've only used it with Baader orthoscopic eyepieces and it works excellently with those. No reason to suppose that it won't work very well with other eyepieces though.

John, have you used the Tal x2 barlow, if so how do you think the turret barlow compares?

I had a TAL x2 some time back so it's difficult to recall but I strongly suspect that the Baader is even better. On the night when I split Sirius with my 12" dob last week the 10mm Baader Classic Ortho used with the Baader 2.25x barlow for 4.4mm / 358x (!) was the highest power at which I could still see the Pup star. I was pretty impressed by that performance.

The Baader Q-Turret barlow is plainly finished and has a simple set screw rather than a compression ring to grip the eyepiece but the optical elements in it seem first rate to me.

I had a TAL x2 some time back so it's difficult to recall but I strongly suspect that the Baader is even better. On the night when I split Sirius with my 12" dob last week the 10mm Baader Classic Ortho used with the Baader 2.25x barlow for 4.4mm / 358x (!) was the highest power at which I could still see the Pup star. I was pretty impressed by that performance.

The Baader Q-Turret barlow is plainly finished and has a simple set screw rather than a compression ring to grip the eyepiece but the optical elements in it seem first rate to me.

Cheers John, my turret barlow should arrive tomorrow

personally I prefer more eyepieces to a barlow but you could get a used 2x Televue barlow for £70 with patience and quick typing when one surfaces.

I agree in principle, and tend to use just eyepiece most of the time, but a good barlow has its uses, only thing is this will leave me with the famous Tal barlow and the turret one............there can only be one winner!!

I agree in principle, and tend to use just eyepiece most of the time, but a good barlow has its uses, only thing is this will leave me with the famous Tal barlow and the turret one............there can only be one winner!!

Fight !!!!!! :grin: :grin:

It will be interesting to hear what you think of them both Jules. It's hard to compare things from memory I find :rolleyes2:

very true Jules. sometimes I feel I should have a barlow but then I think...I could but 1-2 used eyepieces for that and it all starts again. I have ten currently and still missed the 11mm TV plossl so have rebought one of those. recent talk about 'magic Horsehead eyepieces suggest I should have a 20mm eyepiece so I might just complete the TV plossl set bar the 8mm and buy the 20mm and 25mm (to get that little bit more out of the sun when possible) in due course (all used of course) ....ad infinitum

very true Jules. sometimes I feel I should have a barlow but then I think...I could but 1-2 used eyepieces for that and it all starts again. I have ten currently and still missed the 11mm TV plossl so have rebought one of those. recent talk about 'magic Horsehead eyepieces suggest I should have a 20mm eyepiece so I might just complete the TV plossl set bar the 8mm and buy the 20mm and 25mm (to get that little bit more out of the sun when possible) in due course (all used of course) ....ad infinitum

Interesting - I was thinking that the Baader Classic Ortho 18mm would make a great "Horsehead" eyepiece when I was using it on M42 the other night :smiley:

Fight !!!!!! :grin: :grin:

It will be interesting to hear what you think of them both Jules. It's hard to compare things from memory I find :rolleyes2:

I will post my findings when i get some clear skies, maybe around september!! :grin:

Archived