SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Could this be a meteorite hole ?

During the recent snows I discovered a very neat cookie cutter hole in my lawn about 2 and a half inches in diameter, it was circled by an area of melted snow. I initially thought we had a mole or rat. I decided to dig down and gave up after about 18" as it was apparent that it continued straight down to another 2ft, and I was reluctant to damage the lawn on a whim. There are some interesting features that make me wonder if the title question is justified:

1. I have been advised against wildlife activity due to a lack of ejecta material around the hole

2. As you can see, there was a very noticable area of melted snow around the hole itself

3. The hole is almost vertical and absolutely straight

4. On probing the hole with a telescopic magnet, I was unable to reach the bottom, and on cleaning the soil from the magnet discovered some of the material was magnetic

As you can imagine I am intrigued and wonder wether someone with experience of this topic can enlighten me further.

I have inserted some plumbers pipe down the hole, as a marker, put a piece of slate on top and refilled and repaired my lawn. But, imagination tweaked, I look twice at it every time I pass the spot.

post-28906-0-29184400-1360761901_thumb.j

post-28906-0-21091400-1360761928_thumb.j

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes very odd, rest of the lawn/garden devoid of any holes, and in such good order that I "chickened out" of digging deeper in order not to destroy what is a decent lawn. There is a very shallow angle to it, and is so clean and clear a hole, as the photo's show, that I first suspected that it was deliberately made. I must add that I am not saying that it IS a meteorite hole, I just wondered if on a site of this size there would be someone with some experience of small meteorite impact behaviour that could rule it out, or encourage me to risk the wrath of my garden-loving wife.

If meteor would it not be more of an impact crater considering the speed it would have been travelling?

Yes, thats what I think. Most meteorites don't hit that hard anyway - they are slowed by the atmosphere and are falling under their own weight by the time they hit the ground. Where impact pits have been made they are generally shallow and wider than the impactor.

The impact craters I've seen pictured for meteorites such as Sikhote Alin and the more recent Carancas fall have all been wide and relatively shallow.

If in doubt you could always send photos of your hole to the folks at the Natural History Museum who are experts on meteorites. The contacts are here although Dr Grady is now a Professor I believe:

http://meteorite-identification.com/verification.html

It takes a lot of energy to punch a hole as deep as that into the ground. I'd be very surprised if I meteorite with sufficient energy could do that without causing considerably more disruption at the surface. I reckon it would make a fair noise, too.

Your neighbours don't go in for practical jokes, do they? :)

I'd be tempted to find out how deep it is using a garden cane or length of stiff wire, if only for interests sake. And, if it really is a meteorite, I wonder how much it is worth?

James

You'll soon have a lovely hole , just crying out to be filled with concrete and a nice pier . . . :p

I think you have it sussed, Steve. It's a very subtle plan to get permission to erect a pier.

Step 1: Sneak out into the garden when no-one is about and make a "mysterious" hole.

Step 2: Pretend you know nothing about it whilst getting other people to persuade you that you must dig down to find out what it was.

Step 3: Suggest to SWMBO that since you now have a hole in the middle of the garden, you might as well install a pier.

Smart plan. I never saw it coming :D

James

Dig dig dig!!!! I dig holes for a living (landscape gardener) and once you get cracking it really won't take long to dig out a 2ft hole, imagine if there is somthing worth digging up in there and you just left it to be forgotten and covered by worms etc. get in there, go on, do it.... Please? LOL!!

Dig dig dig!!!! I dig holes for a living (landscape gardener) and once you get cracking it really won't take long to dig out a 2ft hole, imagine if there is somthing worth digging up in there and you just left it to be forgotten and covered by worms etc. get in there, go on, do it.... Please? LOL!!

Step 2! :D

James

Archived