Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope set up and ready to go..

Hi everyone,

my 200p arrived today, less than 23 hours after ordering from Lamberts in Lancaster. That is service! Managed to put it all together, aligned the finder, and with supplied 25mm EP had a look at the crescent Moon and Jupiter before the clouds came over. No more than 5 minutes viewing in all, but quite literally took my breath away. Can't wait now for some good viewing skies. But I think a right-angled finder seems like a good idea, and something to put the Dob on to give the EP a height of 5ft. This will allow my wife to view comfortably (she has RA). If I can think of something adjustable that would be ideal, also thought a foam filled (with cut outs) box for EP's etc. would be good.

Really excited and looking forward to learning to use the scope to full advantage.

Frank

Hi Frank,

And I heard from your other post that it came with a "free" centre spot on the primary, which is nice :wink: !

On the 200p Ive never felt a RACI finder to be absolutely essential as the tube isn't that huge to make using a straight through finer that difficult..... although I admit it would be easier on overhead objects and the skywatcher ones fit straight onto the existing finder shoe.If you do buy one then you can always sell on the straight through finder (or keep hold of it in case you want to get a different scope in the future and want to sell it with the original finder)

For something to lift the scope up a bit, Ive heard that a water-but base does the job well as its lightweight, sturdy and has circular recesses to take a barrel that can also take the dob base nicely .....but youll have to measure the base diameter and compare this with water-but bases at B&q.

Anyway, enjoy the scope, for me the 200p offers the best value for money of any scope ,so top marks on your choice !

Clear skies,

Astronymonkey

Yeah, the free centre spot swung the deal for me........... :rolleyes: the water butt base in BQ looks ideal, having measured base and Dobb they seem like a perfect solution, and at under £12 (discount at BQ tomorrow for an oldie like me) good value. Thanks for the tip Astronymonkey, and the finder info too..much appreciated.

Thanks.

Frank

"I will not spend anymore money"

well, ok then, just a little more!

Hi Frank

Just wanted to say, I got a right angled finder for this scope at Christmas, it's a dream to use now. So much easier. The straight through literally became a pain in the neck! A worthy investment.

A great scope, have fun.

Jamie

You have given me an idea, mm £12 from B&Q might have a look at that. I added a right angled correct image finder to my 200p along with a Rigel Quikfinder, (neither are a necessity) but will make finding objects a breeze.

I just use my scope seated, thanks for the idea, may give something like that a go. Good luck and clear skies.

Paul.

Archived