SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My brain hurts! Cable confusion!

kev49

Hello all,

I'm desperate for some help in sorting out cable connections from my Canon 450D to my laptop when using APT. I'm under the impression that in order to control the camera shutter from the laptop you need a USB/ serial converter, is this correct? If so could someone explain in laymans terms what cables I need and where to stick' em!

I have a number of USB cables and the USB/serial converter, but I'm at a total loss as what to do!

Regards, Kevin (in hope and anticipation).

Kevin,

99% of the time you will need only the USB cable. If your setup is on the limit and camera shutter introduce visible shaking, then you need the Mirror Locking feature (Anti-Vibration pause) and for camera it can be made using serial cable. Note that for deep sky images with exposures 2 minutes and more the stars became so big that initial shake is lost ;) For short exposures (less than 20-30s) you can use the simulation that APT provides :D

Archived