Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW Explorer 150 PDS weight? AZ4 2 combo

Does anyone here have the SW Explorer 150 PDS Newt and know how much it weighs? I am considering this with an AZ4 2 ( grab n go ) so if anyone has this combo I would appreciate your views. It seems the AZ4 steel version has a rated payload of 6.8 KG but I cannot find the weight or length of the newt anywhere on the net!

If anyone is using this combo are there any problems or things I should be aware of? I saw there is an aluminium version AZ4 as well but I am assuming I cannot remove the head and put it on the steel tripod from my HEQ5 ? or can I?

Thanks for any help.

I use a 150P single speed on an AZ4. Including dovetail, tube rings, finder, and Rigel QuikFinder it is a little over 6kg. I find it works well on the AZ4 mount, with the clutches done up fairly tightly it is still smooth to move and stable even at fairly high powers.

I have just weighed my own SW 150PDS (not the same as 150P) and it is 4.9Kg including tube rings, dovetail bar and finderscope... but without eyepiece.

The tube assembly is 70cm long x 80cm dia (not including focuser).

This is well within the capabilities of the AZ4 mount.

As far as I am aware... the head section of the AZ4 can be removed and fitted to the HEQ5 steel tripod.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy.

I have just weighed my own SW 150PDS (not the same as 150P) and it is 4.9Kg including tube rings, dovetail bar and finderscope... but without eyepiece.

The tube assembly is 70cm long x 80cm dia (not including focuser).

This is well within the capabilities of the AZ4 mount.

As far as I am aware... the head section of the AZ4 can be removed and fitted to the HEQ5 steel tripod.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy.

Sandy thank you so much for this, much appreciated. Thanks to the others that replies as well. I will probably email a few suppliers including FLO and see if the head will fit my steel tripod. That way can order the aluminium version and save some cash for a laser collimator!

Cheers.

Thanks Sandy, I did spot that and thought you meant 18cm ( your dreaming of aperture arent you?!! ) Thanks for taking the time to check. The icing on the cake would be if the mount was sold without a tripod, cant find that anywhere!

Archived