SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to enter latitude and longitude

I just got a new Celestron Nexstar SE8 and for a few weeks I kept trying to enter in my geographical coordinates but I couldn't figure out how to enter in a negative longitude. I tried entering in both latitude and longitude as positive but the scope wouldn't align properly. It really annoyed me for a couple of weeks until I realized I could just enter in my city and voila it worked. However I'm also going to be using the scope somewhere that isn't registered in the scope's database so I was wondering if anyone knew how to enter in a negetive or what I might have been doing wrong.

Thanks

I just got a new Celestron Nexstar SE8 and for a few weeks I kept trying to enter in my geographical coordinates but I couldn't figure out how to enter in a negative longitude. I tried entering in both latitude and longitude as positive but the scope wouldn't align properly. It really annoyed me for a couple of weeks until I realized I could just enter in my city and voila it worked. However I'm also going to be using the scope somewhere that isn't registered in the scope's database so I was wondering if anyone knew how to enter in a negetive or what I might have been doing wrong.

Thanks

There is an East/West option somewhere which you use instead of +/-. west is -.

Couple of small points to remember:

You need to supply the timezone as well as Lat+Long, you should presently be -5 but if you enter your own values the timezone may default to -8 if I recall. That really makes a mess.

Next, Celestrons can have the time in both 12 hour format with AM/PM or in 24 hour format. If you use the 12 hour format just check that it is (presumably) PM that is selected. Being 12 hours out is not a good idea. Although if I recall they present a start time of 8:00PM (20:00) anyway.

Cannot locate in the 8SE manual the format for Longitude.

Archived