Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

2" filter & Revelation Astro ED 2x Barlow

Hi,

As i may be looking to purchase an O-III or a UHC filter sometime in the future, I've a question thats been bugging me for a while.

By picking up a 2" filter, would I also be able to use it with 1.25" EP's if I unscrew the lens of my 2x Barlow and replace it with the filter? Do they fit and are they the same thread pitch?

I'd guess I'd be using my 20mm and 32mm EP's with the filters, but they are 1,25 and 2" respectively and I'm not going to buy the same filter in two different sizes.

Thanks

Yep, you're spot on.

I've got the same Barlow and can confirm the Barlow lens unscrews and a filter can be screwed on in its place.

You can also screw the Barlow lens directly onto a 2" ep or onto your adaptor to give about 1.5x mag

Nice Barlow for the price...

• Like 1

Shane makes a good point. The adapter supplied with the Barlow has a sufficiently long nose to allow the Barlow element to screw on but a filter would be fowled.

Personally I just screw the filter into the bottom of the Barlow tube but I've been kicking around with the idea of getting a fine tuning ring too.

I don't appear to have a separate 1.25" - 2" adapter with my scope, apart from the one in the Barlow. With the Barlow's barrel removed, a few of my 1.25 EP's appear to protrude past where the filter would sit. So to save faffing about in the dark, I guess I'll be leave the barrel on and unscrew the lens on the end, for convenience.

It's taken me weeks, if not months to find this much out, so thanks for your help, guys! :icon_salut:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Anne S
      Following a filter size upgrade I have an Astronomik LRGB set of filters, 1 1/4 inch. Probably around 12 years old. Kept in a filterwheel when in use but they have also been stored for a couple of years in their original box when I acquired some Baader ones to match my Baader narrowband filters. No scratches or coating issues. I have tried to show this in the images attached. 
      Looking for £80 posted given their age. 
      Anne

• By hennyvenom
      Hello everyone, I've got a question.
      I want to upgrade the visual back on the Mak 127. The standard back on the Mak is not pleasant to work with as seen in the image. I need to get rid of this plastic thing. I purchased a mak to sct adapter when I bought the scope, I never got around to doing anything until now as I've just acquired a Baader 2.25x barlow as shown in the image.
      Now, I've had a go of attaching the the Baader Barlow into the original plastic thing on the mak, it works .... but I'm not happy with the connection being made with the two locking screws, as there is still movement when the barlow, t-ring and Canon DSLR are all in the train.
      I've been having a look on FLO for some work around, does anyone have some input as to whether this will work.
      Mak to sct adapter-> Baader 2 inch to 1.25 reducer adapter->Baader 2.25x barlow + T ring & DSLR
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-2-to-125-reducer-adapter.html
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/BaaderT2ext-1508153.html
      Any input or a better way of securing everything is greatly appreciated!😊

Another option I've come across is this , Baader ClickLock 2"-1.25" Adapter  and Baader T2 Extension Tube to bring it to 40mm when attached to the mak to sct adapter. Anyone have any experience with this? 
    • By Serg10
      I joined the forum to learn more about risks and success of filter removal for UV and IR photography.

Back in 2011, one of the group's members, was trying to do just that:

Unfortunately Stephen hasn't been active in the group since 2014, but the filter removal appears to have gone well (at least the S3 wasn't killed in the process).
      I have the same exact camera and I'm looking forward to try the same exact procedure. Does anyone has any tips on how to do this successfully/safely?

• By Kronos831
      Hi guys, its me kronos, and i am about to purchase a new a new filter for my 5” and 8” scopes. I cant decide wether to buy a UHC or an oiii filter.
      my budget it 70euros max
      And i have settled between the uhc explore scientific
      or the oiii explore scientific.
      i am open to other suggestions in this price range
      i am keen to observing more deep sky objects with better detail
      Whichever filter i wont buy now, i will buy a better one in the future(for example if i dont buy the uhc , i will buy an astronomic uhc in the future)
      So far i have loved the views of m42 (i have observed many more objects)and now thats its fading into the suns glare, i m starting to find  more and more objects.Hoping to observe the veil and the lagoon  nebula as long as some planetaries and definetly globulars(which i ve heard that they dont take filters(am i correct?). I ve heard that the oiii enhances contrast and dims the object, but is the dimming worth the additional contrast from the uhc?
      i havent yet observed my first planetary , but i am planning to soon.I m really excited to see one!
      I will make another thread similar to this then,asking questions that may arise and reach a conclusion.
      I wrote this thread to ask about your preferences with filters(oiii or uhc) and for advice on what i should buy according to the objects i want to view)
      thanks, any advice will be useful.
      kronos
      Clear skies.

• By thomasv
      Both little used, 'as new' condition, selling due to change of camera.
      Price incl. shipment: Ha: £99; CLS: £49
      These are compatible with Canon 5D / 6D, etc, here are the links for details on these filters:
      https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-h-alpha-7nm-narrowband-deepsky-filter-for-for-full-frame-canon-eos-cameras.html
      https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-cls-city-light-suppression-filter-for-full-frame-canon-eos-cameras.html
      Regards,
      t

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.