Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More Saturn images in nice seeing using ASI120MM..!

Kokatha man

Hi, sporadically dropping in to SGL lately - I've been inundated with requests for the Saturn images from various organisation which is flattering but means a lot of hard work also...

An email from BAA Saturn's Michael Foulkes suggests that the dark spot in the North Polar projection maps I've created (shown below) might be the "footprint" of the actual "Vortex" at the North Pole of Saturn.....ie, the central dark storm for the North Polar Zone's hexagonal boundaries which are clearly shown in these maps here also.....my images started a bit of a furore a week or so ago which had me make all the imaging commitments I have..! :)

Here's one blog site from the UK on the initial images I took re the preceding: http://planetaryweather.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/saturns-hexagon-viewed-from-ground.html

Imaged twice since those images.....once more at Palmer on the edge of the Murray Mallee and once at home the morning before last - both in reasonably nice seeing and yielding quite good results.

I'm constantly revising processing regimens and equipment, both of which keep me busy also: I haven't had conditions good enough (meanig seeing and/or clouds) to ramp up the image scale during capture but the ASI120MM is proving far superior to my old Flea3, especially on Saturn!

So using this new processing I've repro'd that Jan27th image also (local date, UT = 26th) and another image from 4/5th February which I don't think I have posted on SGL.....

The NP vortex is that central dark spot in the NP maps from WinJupos, much like a bullseye in the middle of that hexagonal "ring" which is the inner of the concentric rings as we move out from the pole towards the equator in the maps.....

It is shown as a dark albedo marking and thus atm only a "footprint" in the same vein that we see with our naked eyes the "footprint" of the Lunar crater Tycho without actually being able to clearly discern the crater itself.

I've not given up hope of much better resolution of the NPZ and vortex area though, as there are still 11 weeks till opposition and if the seeing is good other factors will only get better between now & then..! :)

All these Saturn images featured moons in them with the most recent revealing 5 moons in the FOV.....I've created one smaller image of Saturn (120% capture scale) with all 5 moons showing because Cloudy Nights AA forum has much more limiting filesize restrictions than SGL so the 150% of capture scale Saturn image had to have Rhea chopped out of the frame on the far right - thus only 4 moons are shown in that particular image..... :)

I'll start with the earliest image from Palmer on 27th Jan (Local Date) then the unposted images of 4/5th Feb followed by the "alternative" (re CN limits!!!) Saturn at 120% with all 5 moons displayed taken the morning before yesterday on 7/8th!

Then this most recent again with a 150% capture scale Saturn and 4 moons.....and lastly the Polar projection maps in iR742nM, RGB & iR-RGB with the NPZ's clear hexagonal outline and the "footprint" of the North Polar Vortex :)

post-3551-0-18548400-1360468487_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-61722600-1360468512_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-74295800-1360468535_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-30813800-1360468631_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-70897000-1360468666_thumb.pn

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stunning Images and obviously a great deal of work/dedication to produce these and the polar projections in Jupos - the ZW ASI120MM, camera produces amazing quality and very low noise. Certainly the best I have seen from ground based amateur equipment (with respect).

There was an interesting thread in SGL recently re the polar vortex area -

This refers to the http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2012/11272100-saturn-south-pole-raw.html - which has an incredible image and annimation from Cassini.

Look forward to seeing a lot more as Saturn gets closer over the following months.

hey buddy, once again you still amaze me with your skill mate!! well done on that blog mate, your becoming famous!!! :) by far i get most excited when i see a new topic from you lool,

one thing i see you are imaging at f1 ! how is that possible with the C14?

these camera is showing very nice images! expect the sales of this very ASI120MM to shoot up lol, your the reason im saving up for a C11 + ASI120MM you naughty man lol :D

indeed you must have been non stop with capturing data and sifting through it all in processing, you have done a top job tho, thats for sure! cant wait to see what you produce with saturn's opposition in a few months :D

all the best

clear skies

Martin

Hi Darryl and heartiest congratulations. It is well deserved. Those images are absolutely stunning and an absolute pleasure to view. I am writing this as it is pouring down with rain here in a cold, wintry, Ulster. But those images have brightened my day. Also with Saturn still 11 weeks form opposition and climbing ever higher - well the sky`s the limit as it were! Excellent.

Best regards,

Ralph

Thanks very much for all the kind comments everyone - much appreciated! :)

I've just sat back from a very interesting couple of discussions over on CN with firstly Stuart and then Jason.....some quite interesting lessons being absorbed as a result.....I'll repost these images as well as processing them as R-RGB's and set them all up as comparisons here later - might take a bit of time but for anyone initially interested you can get the gist of current experiments etc here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/Imaging/Number/5670153/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/o/fpart/all

Hi Darryl was just talking to Stuart about the best ideas to try and get something out of saturn this year, at low elevation. After seeing these do i really want to bother ? Likely will. BUT ?

The camera just seems to be proving itself on everything i have been seeing. Not withstanding all your excellent images with it.

Any idea whats causing the slight fuzz on the left side of the rings, most notable on image 2 ? would this be collimation ? I have had similar in the past, i never figured what it was. Though this year for us in good ole blighty. I think the fuzz will be more ALL ROUND :grin:

Its early days on saturn Darryl. God knows what you will end up with, when its all over. i can only imagine. We will be seeing many many stunning images. At least i can look at yours and get a proper look. After i process mine when i get em and likely bin em :mad:

Ni idea Neil - had to study it hard to see said and probably one application of "Sharpen Edges" in CS4 would've removed any trace of that very faint aspect.....but who knows, could be anything or a combination of whatever... :)

My conversation with Stuart over on CN re Image Analyser has led me to uncover some very interesting applications and get to the bottom of how to employ them.....particularly like the paint brush selection tool and wil download the "Smart selection brush" today sometime.....being able to easily isolate disk or rings on Saturn is something I've allways wanted to do and now that I've figured out how to work the "Tone Mapping" applications better I could employ this great software more in the future.....I believe you're another who likes its features: for me it's a great complement to CS4! :)

Ni idea Neil - had to study it hard to see said and probably one application of "Sharpen Edges" in CS4 would've removed any trace of that very faint aspect.....but who knows, could be anything or a combination of whatever... :)

My conversation with Stuart over on CN re Image Analyser has led me to uncover some very interesting applications and get to the bottom of how to employ them.....particularly like the paint brush selection tool and wil download the "Smart selection brush" today sometime.....being able to easily isolate disk or rings on Saturn is something I've allways wanted to do and now that I've figured out how to work the "Tone Mapping" applications better I could employ this great software more in the future.....I believe you're another who likes its features: for me it's a great complement to CS4! :)

Yes Darryl its subtle. My laptop has quite a bright screen which shows these things more obviously. My eyes are not great, but with the bright screen im using, it wasnt something i had to strain to see in image 2. But as you say its not a problem i know.

In fact even with just a very slight black drop. or contrast would have removed it intirely. But only on bright lappy screens.

Was interested about your take on these things, as i have got them a lot in the past. Will likely get them again if i get any Saturn imaging done. But i must admit. Unless very calm air settles over the uk im not sure if it will be worth too much effort trying at all. Seeing this kind of quality makes it seem a pointless exercise i must admit.

Its fun trying, But dissapointing. when you realize how much can not be achieved. When the real deal is well, here.

I thought you tried Analyzer long ago Darryl. it is certainly a great freeware software. Theres so much out there that is useful. But i dont own any of them. Should buy some agreed.

But as we all know great captures actually require very little processing. And i find Analyzer does a pretty good job in most areas. Have used it since i started. But certainly not tried all its applications

I should send a donation. I wonder if the developer knows how useful hes program is for astronomy ?

Or if it would interest him to develop a astronomy processing program in its own right ?

Once again congratulations on the superb captures, and the excitment they have created. Well deserved, After all the hard work and money and equipment changes you have done, that have made it possible.

But i know this is just a taste of things to come. Theres better to come for sure. You must be having a ball after Mars and jupiter. And now Saturn to get your teeth ( and the C14 ) into

I will likely return to lunar Work. untill Jupiter returns. With the occasional stubborn attempt at Saturn . I envy you Darryl

Thanks to the 2 Peters, Neil (again) and stellawolf.....I appreciate your kind comments! :smiley:

A fair bit of money Neil, but mainly on that OOUK 16" which is a bit of a dead-weight (won't go into that! :sad: ) but I make a lot of my fittings which certainly helps.....and the ASI120 cameras which I really believe have been a huge difference were gratis - so I'm not quite in the poorhouse - not yet, anyway! :eek::rolleyes::grin:

I shot some great late Jupiters at 30 degrees - so I don't think your season up there will be a waste.....we're all ultimately at the mercy of the weather and down here all the seeing indices have been fantastic these last few days - but the actual seeing was woefull..!

Here's hoping we all get some decent opportunities, wherever we are!!! :smiley:

Archived