Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Blurred Image

Wow, sighted a fab spiral galaxy... O.M.G.

.... Well as you all know saying 'you've just spotted a spiral galaxy' is just ludicrous. But last night I did find a fuzzy little blob near Ursa Major which I'm pretty sure is M81 (Bodes Galaxy). And I found it with my manual cheapo Jessops 4-inch reflector (which may now be a collectors piece!) using nothing more than an article in Sky at Night, my outstretched hand and my brain. I'm quite chuffed :grin: .

N.

• Like 5

Congrats, good find. I've seen it in my bins but it was a tough one.

Excellent find - congrats! With a wide angle eyepiece you should also be able the get the cigar galaxy (M82) in the same field of view - you'll have an "edge on" and "face on" galaxy at the same time. :)

And that's why I don't use GOTO, it has its place, but finding stuff all by yourself is half the fun for me.

well done by the way.

• Like 4

Cheers all. I'll try to repeat the results and hope to find the cigar thing. The scope is F11 so a 'small window' to the sky, which would mean a fair amount of jiggling around to get them both to view, even with a 40mm EP. This is strangely fascinating though. Just need the clouds to go away for a while..

N.

Well done. M81 is lively but as said, if you find the one nearby these are 2of the nicest objects out there.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Excellent.

That's proper, hands on, stargazing :)

There is no better way to find your way round the sky!

• Like 1

So much more fun not 100% knowing what you have seen,drawing a sketch then doing some.research to see what it is.

Hey now, what a great idea. But I need you to help me understand how you draw something in the dark. I tried to show the Mrs what Saturn looked like, but I ended-up drawing the view I have in my head, not what's in view. Also, the little matter of having enough light, how to hold three things when I've only got the standard two hands, and finally fiddling around with the scope to keep the target in sight. Do you use some kind of easel to hold the paper/book in place. I'm being serious and would really like to know how it's done.

Cheers N.

Congratulations on M81, now that's real Astronomy for you. Well done.

Alan.

Edited by alan potts

Well done,

I find there's nothing more satisfying than finding something for yourself, proper sense of achievement.

M81 and M82 were my first galaxies, and took me a couple of attempts to find. Why I didn't start with something easy like M31 I don't know!

But I remember the buzz of finding them :)

M82 is a nice sight. It is easy to find even in the worst seeing conditions.

I will try that the next time we have a blizzard.

• Like 1

Hi N. My wife sketches the Moon and various objects while stargazing and has a small white light torch, and the sketch pad on her lap. She was inspired by Sally Russell, whom we have heard speaking about astronomical sketching a couple of times. The good thing about it is that it both helps you remember what you saw and makes you observe better. Sally does not have a website but our friend Mark Radice of the Salisbury Plain Observing Group does and you might like to take a look at his website where he explins his approach to sketching: http://refreshingviews.webs.com/sketches.htm

• Like 1

Well done on spotting your first spiral :D

Well done on finding M81. It's a lovely object..

I would suggest M94 which is also bright and climbing up well now. It is to the right of the plough handle..

i will look forward to the post wow spotted a spiral galaxy with a low-ionization nuclear emission-line region OMG

Mark

• Like 1

Well done on finding M81. It's a lovely object..

I would suggest M94 which is also bright and climbing up well now. It is to the right of the plough handle..

i will look forward to the post wow spotted a spiral galaxy with a low-ionization nuclear emission-line region OMG

Mark

Hi Mark, will lookout for that one. Need to have access to the cosmos first, so if the clouds, snow and fog can oblige I'll give it shot.

N.