SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wow, sighted a fab spiral galaxy... O.M.G.

Blurred Image

.... Well as you all know saying 'you've just spotted a spiral galaxy' is just ludicrous. But last night I did find a fuzzy little blob near Ursa Major which I'm pretty sure is M81 (Bodes Galaxy). And I found it with my manual cheapo Jessops 4-inch reflector (which may now be a collectors piece!) using nothing more than an article in Sky at Night, my outstretched hand and my brain. I'm quite chuffed :grin: .

N.

Cheers all. I'll try to repeat the results and hope to find the cigar thing. The scope is F11 so a 'small window' to the sky, which would mean a fair amount of jiggling around to get them both to view, even with a 40mm EP. This is strangely fascinating though. Just need the clouds to go away for a while..

N.

So much more fun not 100% knowing what you have seen,drawing a sketch then doing some.research to see what it is.

Hey now, what a great idea. But I need you to help me understand how you draw something in the dark. I tried to show the Mrs what Saturn looked like, but I ended-up drawing the view I have in my head, not what's in view. Also, the little matter of having enough light, how to hold three things when I've only got the standard two hands, and finally fiddling around with the scope to keep the target in sight. Do you use some kind of easel to hold the paper/book in place. I'm being serious and would really like to know how it's done.

Cheers N.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi N. My wife sketches the Moon and various objects while stargazing and has a small white light torch, and the sketch pad on her lap. She was inspired by Sally Russell, whom we have heard speaking about astronomical sketching a couple of times. The good thing about it is that it both helps you remember what you saw and makes you observe better. Sally does not have a website but our friend Mark Radice of the Salisbury Plain Observing Group does and you might like to take a look at his website where he explins his approach to sketching: http://refreshingviews.webs.com/sketches.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Well done on finding M81. It's a lovely object..

I would suggest M94 which is also bright and climbing up well now. It is to the right of the plough handle..

i will look forward to the post wow spotted a spiral galaxy with a low-ionization nuclear emission-line region OMG

Mark

Well done on finding M81. It's a lovely object..

I would suggest M94 which is also bright and climbing up well now. It is to the right of the plough handle..

i will look forward to the post wow spotted a spiral galaxy with a low-ionization nuclear emission-line region OMG

Mark

Hi Mark, will lookout for that one. Need to have access to the cosmos first, so if the clouds, snow and fog can oblige I'll give it shot.

N.

Archived