Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

couple of o/c's

rory

I think they are great :) Plotting star positions in open clusters is tricky.

thats kind of you rik , but im not happy with them . i might turn to white on black sooner than i was planning. now the galaxy season is closing in on us .

i agree it can be tricky plotting with accuracy, a few clusters i spent an age viewing and sketching still didnt look right. my auriga clusters are a prime example . alot of detail as i tried to get even the faintest stars involved , but the finished article was still not quite right. still fun though,even with numb fingers .

thats kind of you rik , but im not happy with them . i might turn to white on black sooner than i was planning. now the galaxy season is closing in on us .

i agree it can be tricky plotting with accuracy, a few clusters i spent an age viewing and sketching still didnt look right. my auriga clusters are a prime example . alot of detail as i tried to get even the faintest stars involved , but the finished article was still not quite right. still fun though,even with numb fingers .

Nothing to stop you marking the 'working' sketches up with notes and then making a detailed 'final' sketch later. A lot of my working sketches are covered in crossed out stars and extra smudges :o

I think they are good sketches of what you saw through the EP on that night Rory, at the end of the day thats all that counts.

Its all to easy to look at other sketches and be over critical of your own but to me anyway the whole point of sketching is to concentrate harder on what you are seeing through the EP and improve your observing skills, what the sketch looks like in the light of day isnt that important.

I find open clusters quite hard and drawing a circle to simulate the FoV just makes it harder because if you put one star in the wrong place the whole scale of the sketch can go out the window! I dont think its worth worrying about, anything you arent completely happy with you can return to and have a second attempt.

Keep em' coming though Rory. :)

Really inspired, went to Ryman's and bought some black paper, blending stumps. No.1 son donated pencils, so for less than a fiver, I'm all set up.

Really wish that I had the inclination for astro photography, but there's so much to see and this is going to be fun !

Nick.

good on ya nick. looking forward to your sketches . i originally just wanted to do really really simple sketches for i.d purposes, but seeing some of the sketches around the forums ,it inspired me to try and go a tad further.

im going to try black paper . but im going to use up this white pad first.

clear skies nick.

Archived