Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show Your Observing Chair !

L8-Nite

I had a look at the ironing board, I think it's the most appropriate in terms of suitability and cost. It costs £24.99 on Amazon. I'm sure you can get it somewhere else cheaper...second-hand perhaps.

I've seen several others for sale at charity shops since we got ours, I recall £10 as the highest priced one.

It seems that if a product is specifcally made for a particular purpous, then you pay a premium price. As an example, many years ago I was looking for a torch light for scuba diving. The local dive shops sold a Tekna brand light for $69.95 which was available at K-Mart for $4.99 :eek: the same make and model, the same light.

I think the Ironing board chairs are a fair product at a reasonable price.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not long ago I passed by a mobility shop and saw this bathtub lift chair in the window. Though expensive, its self contained, folds flat, has a good height adjustment range, and with a little intelegent thought & inovation, could be set up as the ultimate chair. :smiley:

CClick on photo to enlarge.

post-21902-0-02199200-1360511664_thumb.j

I've seen several others for sale at charity shops since we got ours, I recall £10 as the highest priced one.

It seems that if a product is specifcally made for a particular purpous, then you pay a premium price. As an example, many years ago I was looking for a torch light for scuba diving. The local dive shops sold a Tekna brand light for $69.95 which was available at K-Mart for $4.99 :eek: the same make and model, the same light.

I think the Ironing board chairs are a fair product at a reasonable price.

This applies to many other things in astronomy. The niche market exploitation. Best example I could find is the laser pointer. I recall on a couple of astronomy website it was priced at £20/25. I got it on Amazon, shipped from China, almost the same quality for £3.78. I'm quite happy with it :)

This applies to many other things in astronomy. The niche market exploitation. Best example I could find is the laser pointer. I recall on a couple of astronomy website it was priced at £20/25. I got it on Amazon, shipped from China, almost the same quality for £3.78. I'm quite happy with it :)

Some niche products are waaaaaay over priced. There is an overseas company that makes carriers for Dob tubes that cost about £45 equivalent, which for all practical purpous, you can use a pair of off the shelf items for for £4 here in the UK ; you can even us it to carry a variety other bulky items, which the other carriers are not designed for.

This one in the UK costs £1.99 each.

Click on photo to enlarge.

post-21902-0-63574000-1360514385_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Some niche products are waaaaaay over priced. There is an overseas company that makes carriers for Dob tubes that cost about £45 equivalent, which for all practical purpous, you can use a pair of off the shelf items for for £4 here in the UK ; you can even us it to carry a variety other bulky items, which the other carriers are not designed for.

This one in the UK costs £1.99 each.

Click on photo to enlarge.

Cool, what's the link for this?

Thats a neat design ! :cool:

Thanks. I am pondering a different solution for when I am travelling. I have a home-made oblong flight case for my C8 OTA which contains a compartment for EPs and other paraphernalia. However, this was designed for when I had just a couple of 1.25" EPs, an off-axis guider and a few other small bits and bobs. The current EP set just does not fit. I am thinking of rebuilding the flight case in such a way that it can also be used as an observing stool. Setting it upright or on its side gives at least two useful height settings, and what with the short tube of the SCT (and the little frac) this may well be enough.

I use a good old Lidl's ironing chair bought for £12. Had it the best part of 10 years now. Really well made, showing no signs of wear yet. Easy to adjust the height, very sturdy. Not seen them back in Lidl's for years now.

......................... I am thinking of rebuilding the flight case in such a way that it can also be used as an observing stool. Setting it upright or on its side gives at least two useful height settings, and what with the short tube of the SCT (and the little frac) this may well be enough.

Interesting idea. In building a box with a ratio of length = 3, height = 2, and width = 1 for example,

you could have three usable heights. A box has six sides, three could have rubber feet for stability and the

other three could be padded for comfort. Getting the dimensions right is the key.

Archived