Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show Your Observing Chair !

L8-Nite

It would be nice to see what other Members are using as an Observing chair, weather it's a manufactured model,

home made, or something adapted for use; looking for interesting designs and ideas. :smiley:

Presently I'm using an " Ironing Board Chair ". It folds flat, is adjustable in height,

very sturdy, and works quite well.

SO, WHAT ARE YOU USING ? ? ?

Click on photo to enlarge.

post-21902-0-66187400-1360370367_thumb.j

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am using this one from Amazon, advertised as an ironing/perching stool but ideal for astronomy purposes as well. It is just a shame that in nearly 3 months of having this chair I have not used it once, mainly due to not currently owning a 'scope and having no drive to get out and observe. It is currently used as a useful perch for the cats and my motorcycle helmet :grin:

post-4596-0-29571600-1360371488_thumb.jp

Tom,

It's better to " have a chair and not need it, than to need it and not have it ", as they say.

I'm surprised that any of us have the drive to get out and observe considering the weather we've had the past few months,

still, there must be some inspiration, as we are here on SGL. :smiley:

Cheers, and thanks for posting.

Yeh I'm really tempted to get the case and case stand! Only thing I'm not to keen on is when u put the eyepieces in case u leave the bottom cover off.

One thing that bothers me with eyepiece cases is that handles should be placed on the sides, for a two hand carry, NOT on the top, where if you inadvertantly forget to latch the case (in the dark etc.) it's likely the expensive contents will be dumped on the floor with disasterous results.

Looking to get one myself, and from past posts I've read a lot about Lidl having offers on similar chairs/stools for £8. I'll reserve my judgement on them until I see it though. *you get what you pay for etc etc*

Regards,

m12

I haven't seen chairs at Lidl, but like the quality of most products they sell. At the moment our local Lidl is selling aluminium coin storage cases for £12, which would make a good economical eyepiece case; just need to get some foam.

I use a simple folding camping stool, rather like this one...

STEEL-STOOL-FUT184.jpg

I'm tall, and found useing a camping stool cut off my circuation, making it difficult to get up when its cold. My wife bought me one awhile back which had a tool bag attached, which is nice for keeping accessories within reach; great for you young folks me thinks.

I'm tall, and found useing a camping stool cut off my circuation, making it difficult to get up when its cold. My wife bought me one awhile back which had a tool bag attached, which is nice for keeping accessories within reach; great for you young folks me thinks.

Young folks? I'm 43, but it's not the age, it's the mileage :)

I want one of these.

post-4012-136041515226_thumb.jpg

I do like the look of this one. just curious about the weight of it. obviously it will have to be sturdy, but light enough to be practical.

I think I'll have a crack on Acad,

I have a table saw and plenty of clouds........

I use this one..

Bit too extravagant for me!

I use an old pils crate to perch the laptop on and a ikea kitchen step thing to sit on when using the mak. It sort of works as i dont extent the legs to make it more stable.. I like the look of those ironing chairs though, would be handy for the dob. Now my daughters getting into looking through the scopes, the step just doesnt seem to cut it!

Simon

Archived