SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Things to see

Hi all,

now I've got my Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO Telescope to align and track, (I think) I was wondering what galaxies I can see, and nebula, I've already found and seen the Orion Nebula, I do have a goto system but I'm unsure as to if I use it the find what I'm looking for will I actually be able to see it?

So I'd love some tips or a list of what people can recommend to see

regards

chris

There are a numbe of things that you will be able to see, but much of it will depend upon not only the viewing conditions, but also technique. For the fainter DSOs, you will need to use averted vision, block out any light between your eye and the eyepiece (I tend to put a dark coat over my head, but I've heard a dark pillowcase or towel will also work), and stay at the EP for a while (its difficult to stand still for a long period of time, so I recommend you get yourself a chair or a stool for this).

I have a GoTo system and its pretty good. Once you have it aligned, you can take a tour of the sky and it will list things that are visible to you depending upon the time and date (it doesn't take into account your horizon though... Half the time, it wants to show me things that are behind the houses across the road, or behind the very large hill!). If you want to learn to starhop, and therefore the night sky, I recommend you either or both of the books 'Turn Left at Orion' or 'Sky & Telesscope's Skt Pocket Atlas'.

In terms of lists of things to see, do an internet search for Messier objects, Caldwell objects, or double stars and you will find plenty of lists to go through! I'm sure others will be able to give you more ideas about things to see, but as I am a newbie too, these are the things that I'm working on!

Clear skies!

Rae

As to what will be visible in your scope, I can only say try, try, try. There are things that people said I couldn't see in my humble 130SLT, like the Ring nebula, or the Andromeda galaxy, but using the techniques described above, finding a very good dark site, and the perfect viewing conditions made it possible to see both (albeit with very little detail). There are things that I've not been able to see so far - the owl nebula and the Eskimo nebula to name just two, but I'm not going to say definitely that I can't see them until I've tried with the perfect conditions!

Brilliant, I'd never thought about using a cover to block light out, thinking about it that could be perfect as the neighbours do have a very annoying light in the back garden, ill give that a try next time I'm out for sure, and I've not seen the owl nebula either, that's one of my top targets for next viewing and I'd love to see a galaxy so thanks for the tips!

regards

chris

That's near enough what the next doors light is, but I don't need a cover to see the bands on Jupiter, but tonight when I was out I did notice it more had to shield the eyepiece with my hand. I will give that trick ago that's a cracker cheers for that

Folding windbreaks are very useful things for shielding telescopes from an outdoor light. They have the added advantage that you're always working in shadow behind them, so they help with night vision.

Hi Chris

For observing galaxies the best advice I can give is try and get to a dark sky site. Nothing else will make as much difference to the galaxy observer as this. For observing galaxies the key to success depends on this way above anything else, yes even aperture.

You can see more with bins from a dark sky than a large Dob in a LP city centre.

Many newcomers to the hobby believe that the reason they cannot see an object is down to the aperture of their scopes, when in truth it's down to the quality of sky they are observing from. :)

Check out your local Astro society or any nearby groups on here in the "social groups" section, they will have some good dark spots where you can get the most out of your scope.

Clear skies :)

Archived