Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

I've been asked on a number of occasions, how I managed to do planet astrophotography with a manual Dobsonian telescope. So I have created a tutorial, to help fellow owners create a worthy image.

I hope it makes sense and you find it useful.

Dob AP Tutorial.pdf

• Like 23

Very nice. I am unlikely to be a dob imager, but it is a nicely put together guide and perhaps I might just give it a go one day for kicks :)

And it worked out a much smaller file than you thought :)

James

That's a great tutorial - and not just for dob users. Nice :-) I hadn't even thought of using something like VirtualDub to edit & join multiple AVIs before pre-processing and stacking ... but it makes perfect sense.

Thanks,

Mike

• Like 1

I had the privilege to be the first to read (proof read) this guide, it really is a very good read.

I had no idea that images that could could be taken with a dob. I'm going to make it a sticky.

Cheers

Ant

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank you for this, I'm going to give the whole process a go later with some captures. I have the same set up but never used the virtual dub bit. Really concise, straightforward tutorial :-)

Not sure if this happens with others but in section 5 Virtual Dub para 10 I had to deselect the file type in the save window and choose "all" for it to save for me.

Can't say thats happened with me. But maybe it could be a glinch with that latest version.....the one i use is over a year old.

Ah ok, am in photoshop now and I must say its been a fantastic tutorial giving me my best xbox cam Jupiter yet! Thank you!

I also have the same setup as the OP .. However I have an xox webcam.

Ive posted my manual tracking results on my website www.mauton.co.uk

Give or take I have been using the same methods as int the PDF document.. Just wanted to show what is also possible.

I am most certainly going to give that a go, thanks for posting :)

I don't have a dob but the principle should work with an alt az refractor so I am going to have a go thankyou

I don't have a dob but the principle should work with an alt az refractor so I am going to have a go thankyou

Going to try the same with my alt-az, (Tele-Optic Giro), with a C6/SCT and/or ETX105.

I think I will be pushing my luck with a TeleVue Ranger!

I made an account here just say thanks Memory Bliss

I followed your instructions tonight and was able to make one of my best images of Jupiter to date!  I am sure I have more to learn but this helped me out immensely. 

post-35670-0-29409300-1393218928.png

• Like 3

I followed your instructions tonight and was able to make one of my best images of Jupiter to date!  I am sure I have more to learn but this helped me out immensely. 

You're welcome. I'm pleased that the guide has been useful for you, especially in producing this excellent image - well done.

I've been asked on a number of occasions, how I managed to do planet astrophotography with a manual Dobsonian telescope. So I have created a tutorial, to help fellow owners create a worthy image.

Created an account here just so I could say thanks for this! Excellent! I was Googling for info on info on using a Dobs for photography, just bough a Skywatcher 8", so I couldn't believe my luck finding this.

• Like 1

Nice shot!

Thanks for the tut mate, I'll be giving this a read shortly.

Excellent thank you, I am on ipad at moment but will print this out when on my computer for future reference, it has answered a few questions I have been thinking of regarding my Dobsonian, I will file but with definite intention of having a go at taking pics with my DOB in the future this will be a great help, again, many thanks.

DOB 8"