Narrowband

Trees

Sammyb

I was wondering if anyone knew whether trees give off thermals so it is not advisable to observe objects directly above large trees in your garden (in a similar way to what people say about observing directly over roof tops).

I have a large conifer tree in one corner of the garden - I get the impression its impacting on the seeing directly above it. Or is it just me being stupid?

I might use this as an excuse to chop it down. The collared doves will have to find somewhere else.

Sam

Sam,

In short everything that can be heated by the sun will give off heat. However a tree is not a good conducter as it is wood ( sorry to stating the obvious ). It will give off some heat but I have never seen any around me. I have some massive walnut trees on my land and I can never see anything when I observe above them and through them sometimes. Imaging though could be diiferent and is of course recording over a period minutes our eyes may not see slight air ripples but a CCD may.

I have an apartment in town here and I have used a scope from a balcony, the school near by to it really messes with the views through the scope. Now I don't have the problem.

Alan

I imagine living things 'give off heat' as part of their metabolism of burning up carbon based molecules but that phrase of heat needs to be qualified a little. I imagine trees mainly 'give off heat' in the form of evaporation (I'm sure a trunk would also emit - like we do - heat in infrared) and although I have no idea of the amount, I imagine in a dampish, island country surrounded by sea water, imbedded with canals and gorgeous lakes and covered a good number of weeks each year by heavy cloud, this relative extra quantity of moisture from a single tree will be insignificant to that already in existence. On these terms, I cannot imagine a conifer perversely affecting stargazing.

On a more normative front, I personally don't think it is a good idea to cut down trees unless we must absolutely do so.

I've heard it said that the seeing above trees is actually very good.

Certainly where I am, the line of sight over trees is very good, whereas anything over the house to the S of me is like looking through a thin film of shimmering water.

Chris

Archived