Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter's GRS tonight & stellarium

Ronseal

Been out with scope since I got in from work, looking at Jupiter mainly & trying to see the great red spot. Stellarium says it's visible from about 12:15am, thing is, is Stellarium accurate? If not when is it visible?

I'm using x174 with no Barlow but ep misted up so come in for tea & demist, tried x250 with Barlow but on the edge of seeing where I am so backed off a bit - either way I can't make out the spot in the bands so assuming it isn't there yet!

Cheers

Chris

It's bang on the central meridian of the planet right now !

The view with my 12" dob is stunning, in between gusts of wind that is :grin:

The GRS will be visible for another 45 mins or so I reckon.

Stellarium doesn't show the GRS position accurately. You need to tweak one of the ini files to make it so.

A search of the forums should give you a thread with instructions and a good value for now. However it will need adjusting as the GRS changes position.

If you've got an iPhone, sky and telescope have an app called JupiterMoons which gives information on when the GRS is visible including moon transits etc. It shows this graphically as well. I've got it and use it to plan a nights viewing in advance (weather permitting).

If you've got an iPhone, sky and telescope have an app called JupiterMoons which gives information on when the GRS is visible including moon transits etc. It shows this graphically as well. I've got it and use it to plan a nights viewing in advance (weather permitting).

Here is the link to the S&T Java applet that does this online:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/3304091.html?page=1&c=y

Been out with scope since I got in from work, looking at Jupiter mainly & trying to see the great red spot. Stellarium says it's visible from about 12:15am, thing is, is Stellarium accurate? If not when is it visible?

I'm using x174 with no Barlow but ep misted up so come in for tea & demist, tried x250 with Barlow but on the edge of seeing where I am so backed off a bit - either way I can't make out the spot in the bands so assuming it isn't there yet!

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I too spent an hour or so observing Jupiter tonight between 7.30 and 9.30 pm using my Synscan 127 MAK and a 15mm BST EP. I am quite sure that I saw the giant red spot at about 8.30 pm right in the middle of the cloud band, once the seeing improved a bit from my light polluted back garden. I was quite elated to have spotted it. As a whole it was a very good couple of hours of star gazing as I even manged to align the Synscan using only the brightest star alignment. I then managed to auto guide the scope to M31 that was a lovely view with a 25 mm wide EP, then at about 9.30 pm clouds came over and that was the end of the session. I am busy for a couple of nights and I hope that we have a clear Saturday evening for observing.

Regards,

A.G

Archived