Celestron C8 SGT XLT with GoTo

I'm a newbie to SGL and have only had 2 very basic telescopes up until now. Having sought valuable advice from SGL members I have narrowed down my options and think I will be opting for this telescope and mount to get me started.... Initially my prime interest will be to view the stars and planets and become more informed and educated about the skies above. In due course I do hope to try some very basic AP using my existing DSLR and hope that this kit will let me try out this fascinating subject. Before I commit I just wanted to ask if any members of SGL if they feel this is good "package" to start with or have I got it completely wrong..... I can't wait to get going and thanks again for all the advice so far.... David

I think this would be a good all round package to cut your teeth on. Some on here will argue that there is no universal scope, and you need at least 2 but having had a C8 on an EQ5 (similar) myself, I can say it's a great all rounder. Enjoy!

Many thanks for this advice - much appreciated - I will not be able to change the kit I buy once I get it (not for some time anyway.....) so I need to ensure it's right from the start - do you think I should wait and go for the C9.25 or would the C8 suffice for my purposes? Also I have been reading that the new VX mount is about to be launched - again should I be patient and see if that's within my affordability? Thanks again, David

Many thanks for this advice - much appreciated - I will not be able to change the kit I buy once I get it (not for some time anyway.....) so I need to ensure it's right from the start - do you think I should wait and go for the C9.25 or would the C8 suffice for my purposes? Also I have been reading that the new VX mount is about to be launched - again should I be patient and see if that's within my affordability? Thanks again, David

If you plan on using a CG5 then go for the C8. You need a bigger mount to handle a C925.

I have no idea how the VX will perform. If it's equal to a HEQ5 or GPDX then a C925 is fine, if it's just a CG5 with cosmetic changes then it's going to be a bit weak for the C925

You need EQ6 or CGEM for a C11.

Archived