Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie saying hello from north east England

TimR

Hello there, I have been lurking around this forum for a couple of weeks now picking up lots of useful information so I thought it was time I joined to say thankyou.

I have always had an interest in the night sky but was always a little put off by the complexity of navigating around the stars and fumbling around in the dark with star charts etc,but since the advent of smart phones apps it has made things a lot more accessible to people like me who knew a few constellations but not much else.

I am currently using 10 x 50 binoculars which are great for zipping around the sky but I am thinking about getting my first telescope over the coming months for my daughter and me when finances allow. Favourite at the moment is the Skywatcher 200P EQ-5 which seems to get the thumbs-up from pretty much everyone who has used it. I would also like to dabble in astrophotography eventually once I know what I am doing! I have a Sony Donkey which would hopefully be suitable for this.

I live in a small village with a south facing garden and there isn't a great deal of light pollution so hopefully the Orion nebula should show up well on clear nights. I am reading through the Sky at Nights Beginners Guide to Astronomy magazine and am finding it very useful. Highly recommended.

Well,that's about it,and thanks again for a great forum.

Tim

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum. Good choice of the 200P which is a great performer and will certainly show you and your daughter some great views for sure. As a parent I'm sure you are aware of the desire to help keep this forum as family friendly as possible, which can at times produce some unusual alternatives that raise a smile! :grin: Even if you are going mad Tim. you will still be in good company here!! :grin: :grin:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Hello everyone Im am a newbe to Astronomy but have when I was a little boy in the 70s always looked up and about 5 months ago desided to go for it and get a telescope this after a few years of researching I bought a Meade LX200 10" GPS scope got a cheep $89 CCD to start learning not much luck on the pictures taking as of yet but I know more now than when I started and learn more everytime I set it up, I need to find a astroPhotography for dummys..

Soon I will be out on the 5 acres I bought in the country here 1 neighbor way up by the road nearest large town 50 miles away so it is very dark here near the panama city florida area I am going to build an observatory there and go with a larger telescope till them im in school I guess you could say...

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I have been offered the chance for around the same budget an Orion Skyquest 14" Dobsonion from a colleague of my dads. I realise this is a great offer for this sort of equipment but I think it might be a bit too big and technical for my needs,experience level and obviously will not be very portable.

An awful lot of people would probably jump at the chance of a 14" dob, but you're quite correct; it may well be quite unmanageable in the way you want to use it. If it's local it would be worth going to see though.

James

Archived