Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astounded by Pleiades

Apologies if I sound like a noob... But I have been absolutely astounded by my first decent view of Pleiades, not just the cluster but literally the sheer amount of extra stars I can see... I currently have no clue as to what most of them are.. but will find out..

A clue as to what the "snake" like arrangement in the bottom left would be a start ( I think its bottom left as image is "up-side down")..

Thanks in advance

Steve

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

plaedes was one fo my firat light targets and i managed it and like you say the (pearl necklace) as i call it looks awsome and i wasnt getting proper focus due to bad collimation on my half so next time i get out it will look amazing....

Totally agree with everything said so far, first thing I ever looked at in the night sky was Jupiter because it stands out. Second was The Pleiades because it looked interesting with the naked eye but, wow when the scope focused in on it. Blue tinted diamonds and pearl necklace are great descriptions. Now every time I get the 200P out these two always get a visit with M42 of course. Just wonderful!

I absolutely love open clusters, they look amazing and keep the eye occupied for a long time. Also, they are more resistant to light pollution than galaxies and nebulae which means you can look at them in any observing session. Pleiades is the best of the bunch!

If it's number of stars you're looking for then the double cluster in Perseus has to be your next target.

+1 for that. I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't on my 'list' for the evening, I was just somwhere dark for the first time and saw a 'smudge' and pointed the telescope at it. I think it definitely got a 'Wow' and probably one or two things that would be edited off here. All the better for the surprise no doubt but it is lovely.

Lee

The Pleiades are great in a low magnification eyepiece, to fit as much of the cluster as possible.

If you like open clusters (as I am at the moment), there are some great examples to be found in nearby Auriga, and Gemini that really benefit from a telescope.

Clear skies :)

I love the Pleiades myself as there's something to look at whatever size scope (or bino's) you use. With binoculars you get the whole cluster surrounded by dark sky - a fantastic site. Scopes will show you closer in and with bigger scopes you lose the overall view but get a chance at seeing the nebulosity around some of the stars.

James

Archived