Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asteroid/comet 15th feb

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woo hoo! Just captured it in a very brief gap in the clouds. Will post image shortly. Thank heavens for the precise co-ordinates on the NASA JPL Horizons website.

Well done, Luke. Clouded out myself now, but I'm just going to have another quick look in case anything's changed.

James

Clouded out myself now, but I'm just going to have another quick look in case anything's changed.

Nope. There is the occasional gap through which I can see a star, but not enough to star-hop to the right location by :(

James

seems clear around here (cheshire) but patchy cloud means would be a PITA to find, cant see anything with the naked eye and not yet got used to the scope to star hop proficiently.

oh, and beer probably doesnt help :)

Not a glimpse. Freaked out by somebody stopping in a car (I was on a remote-ish common), telling me about a couple of escaped prisoners on the loose. Two minutes later, another car stops with 2 odd blokes in, but they just wanted to know if I spotted the asteroid. Odd blokes like me, I guess,

Well, here it is. Literally captured in a brief gap in the clouds as you can see. 3-second exposures, starting at 21:20 15th Feb, SXVF-H9 cam, Sky-watcher ST80. Not brilliant but, hey, it's there!

Asteroid2013DA12_2013_02_15.gif

Nicey caught Luke.

Clouds cleared here eventually but only had my 15x70 bins to hand. Probably too faint to see with them by the time the clouds cleared. Quite misty too. Perhaps if I had had the dob up the top of the garden and a more detailed map might have stood a chance.

Never cleared here - but saw it on the news just now (filmed from Oz) And also some amazing footage of a meteorite which arrived in Russia this morning in most spectacular fashion - worth looking out on news shows or u tube.

Well, here it is. Literally captured in a brief gap in the clouds as you can see. 3-second exposures, starting at 21:20 15th Feb, SXVF-H9 cam, Sky-watcher ST80. Not brilliant but, hey, it's there!

Asteroid2013DA12_2013_02_15.gif

Nicely done Luke. Bring on Ison!

Very neatly done, especially given that the conditions were clearly not in your favour.

James

Went out and had patchy cloud. Took a serried of 15 sec exposures I think 45 in total with a 100mm lens f 2.8 ISo 400. Although we thought we saw it I have a stacked pic with a line going from bottom leftish to midway not sure if that was it I will try and upload pic to here if I can

Archived