SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Io Transit 2nd Feb

Memory Bliss

Good work, I am just processing mine - same thing, first image of the year and was lucky to discover there would be a transit to coincide with the first evening I had a chance to take the scope out.

You seem to have got better detail than I think I will get, so good result!

• 5 months later...

First image of 2013 and it turned out pretty well too.

200P Dob

Tal 3x Barlow

SPC880NC

only just saw this after you linked to it in another thread. Really beautiful image.

Transit images are great. As well as demonstrating physics and the solar system at work, they also give a fantastic sense of scale. Io, for instance, is a little more than half the size of Earth, which puts the size of Jupiter into some sort of context :)

James

Does the image look better than what it actually looks like when observing through eyepiece, or at least the same? I know nothing in astrophotography, but I'm assuming you have edited the image to make it look better, right?

Does the image look better than what it actually looks like when observing through eyepiece, or at least the same? I know nothing in astrophotography, but I'm assuming you have edited the image to make it look better, right?

I wouldn't say "better", but perhaps "different". Eyes and cameras work differently. I'd guess that image is a combination of hundreds or maybe even a few thousand frames taken over two or three minutes. If your eye worked the same way perhaps you'd see something along the same lines. The image will also have been sharpened, effectively undoing some of the optical distortion that has occurred between the light leaving the planet and arriving on the camera sensor. Any given individual frame of the original capture won't look anything like this. For example, have a look at the images of Saturn in the first post in this thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184821-beginners-guide-to-stacking-planetary-images-with-autostakkert2/

James

really good, was that manual tracked

Thank you and it was manually done. Come to think of it, I haven't been out with the scope since beginning of June and that was to capture Saturn!! Eek, I'm going to be sooooo rusty next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Manual tracking with a 200p Dob and a 3X barlow! That's Impressive! I tried it a few times last year with just a 200p and a webcam( un-barlowed) and could only manage to keep it in the frame for 15 seconds or so. Very well done sir.

Archived