Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need advice with a TAL - 1 Telescope

Hi all, just joined,

And have just used the Tal -1 telescope my wife bought me for xmas,(this being the third telescope i have had and all of the others have had faults, so third time lucky).

I have notice that the primary mirror seems to be loose and rattles around when I have moved the telescope. When I remove the small bung from bottom (this was to aide in acclimatizing the telescope) I can move the mirror with my finger with no force at all.

Is this normal or am i looking at yet another faulty telescope?

Any advice would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, just joined,

And have just used the Tal -1 telescope my wife bought me for xmas,(this being the third telescope i have had and all of the others have had faults, so third time lucky).

I have notice that the primary mirror seems to be loose and rattles around when I have moved the telescope. When I remove the small bung from bottom (this was to aide in acclimatizing the telescope) I can move the mirror with my finger with no force at all.

Is this normal or am i looking at yet another faulty telescope?

Any advice would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

Sounds like the locking ring(found on the inner cell, on the rear of the mirror), needs a slight tighten?

As Nick suggests above, see A_B's page, here,

http://www.astro-baby.com/TAL%20Telescope%20Rebuild/TAL-1%20Telescope%20Strip%20Down%20Guide.htm

If you need any help, just ask away and someone will answer. Lots of Tal 1 users about.

Out of interest, what age is your scope?

Cheers,

Andy.

Have a good read of A_B's page that I linked. The pics are superb and help explain how it all works.Whilst her's is an old scope, I believe the primary mirror cell mechanics have remained unchanged over the years.

It sounds like the big retaining ring needs to be gently tightened up, so it's pushing on the sprung ring, thereby pushing the mirror against the three padded tabs. Just a snug fit mind. Too tight and it'll cause the mirror to distort slightly, causing a triangular effect on star images.

I got in contact with the shop I bought it from and was advised to return it, on inspection he has said that a small clip has come off one of three that hold the mirror

they can sort this out them selves and they will Collimate the telescope. this should be done by tomorrow.

Archived