Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomik Planet IR Pro 742

long_arms

Hello,

Thinking of getting this filter to enhance my lunar shots and mosaics.

To be used on Point Grey Firefly mono on a 200p.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts? Would I be better off with a different filter? Anyone have experience with these?

Might use it for planetary as well but I've got the lunar bug right now :p.

Thanks,

Dan

We are talking for imaging use only and with a mono camera.

Here is a Jupiter through one on an 8 inch newt-

jupiter01feb1321-07-34_iomiddle_europa_zpseec59915.png

You do have to increase exposure to about 1/27 sec on my DMK21 (old version).

There is also the 807Nm for bigger scopes.

Dan,

I've just brought this filter in the SGL classifieds, with exactly the same intention - mainly lunar and hopefully venus. Might also try it for luminance on Jupiter when my filter wheel turns up (just had to return one today!). Hoping it will arrive tomorrow and will PM or post a thread up once I can get out and play.

Jake

Thanks guys!

Yeh I've heard reports of the benefits of an IR pass but I was never sure. I dont think I'd get an even narrower IR on an 8 inch though.

The astronomik seems a really reasonable price so I'll wait to see how you (SnakeyJ) get along and I think I'll get one.

The firefly has a low gain so I'm not sure how much improvement it will show on Saturn for example, but I'll find out if I get one. Im staying up for Saturn later tonight...havent cleaned my camera yet so I'm not expecting much.

Dan

Have you tried the firecapture beta 22 build 37? This includes the direct control of camera registers to increase max gain from 12-24dB. Hoping this will be enough, but no probs with a low frame rates/long captures on Saturn as low surface detail - I'll be happy to get my first view ;)

Have you tried the firecapture beta 22 build 37? This includes the direct control of camera registers to increase max gain from 12-24dB.

No I seriously need to try it out! Without any filters it was easy to overexpose, but I didn't really have the time (or the patience at 5am) to play around too much. I'm definitely going to do more frames this time, but the seeing effects Saturn so badly I think the IR pass filter could make a huge difference. It is a gorgeous thing to see, I have loved Jupiter but It was nice to see a different planet :)

Dan,

I managed a quick go at saturn this am - but 45 mins later than planned. By complete accident I left the deep red colour filter on the firefly as I was using this last night on Jupiter - no doubts that the longer IR wavelenths will be better, but red looks better than nothing. My only issue was it was starting to get light and there was some thing high cloud reducing contrast. I used the 2x gain feature to compensate and speed up the frame rate, but you do get a lot of noise from this CMOS!

Jake, that Saturn is cracking! The astronomik is going for 33 including postage new so I may take the plunge but if not I will probably get a red visual filter (just for the camera protection atm).

I downloaded firecapture, perhaps I need to have more of a play but I cannot find a lot of the options you have with flycap. Some of the functions do seem better however. Ill have a play :p

I have heard that the filter makes focusing on the moon a lot easier which is good. The images with it I have seen are very impressive and the moon is very bright so I hope that the increase in gain/exposure will not be a big issue.

Dan

After everyones opinions and a look at other forums and reviews. I've just ordered the filter from modern astronomy for 33 pounds including postage!

I wont have my new barlow by thursday however I will be giving the filter a thorough test then (if the weather holds and I have the filter) on the moon and maybe jupiter as well.

Dan

Thats ok Jake! The weather has been awful down here. I've weighed it up and it certainly seems worth it.

I've looked at the spec of the firefly mono and it is a lot more sensitive to near-IR than many other cameras which means the combination should harness some good results! Can't wait to be honest.

Dan

Archived