Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 200P or 200P DS OTA

From the page of the DS: The new Skywatcher Explorer-200P DS has the same superb parabolic primary mirror as the Explorer-200P but features a1.25"/2" Dual-Speed 10:1 ratio focuser for enhanced focus control and a shorter tube length with the secondary mirror positioned closer to the primary mirror for more convenient prime-focus photography

Also the OTA is just the 'tube', the other has the mount included.

To be honest the 200P is about the limit for the EQ5, certainly in anything other than a light wind. If buying the 250PDS the HEQ5 will just handle it, or the NEQ6 if you want to do imaging. Worth saying that this is a big bit of kit and many find it a handful. If in doubt I would recommend getting some hands on or at least seeing before purchasing.

Re:

Worth saying that this is a big bit of kit and many find it a handful. If in doubt I would recommend getting some hands on or at least seeing before purchasing.

That is great advice!!

A sw250 is massive

And the 200 is a handful, there are several posts of members buying a 200 on a std EQ5

and being totally shocked at its size/weight and just where do I store this???.

These scopes the flesh are nothing like they look size wise on line!!!

I would also suggest you get to see one first or even a150 as they are bigger that you would think

The 200 is a great scope

good luck with your choice

gra

one of those would be me lol.. i had to sell mine as it was just too much for me to store and too much for my broken ankle and i'm too impatient to wait.. although selling mine i did manage to buy 2 x scopes one for me my c8 (same aperture but so much more compact and easy to store) and a nice cheap goto for quick cloudy sessions travelling and for the wife n kids and other family members who im sure will be wanting a lend with the comet due this year..

have you considered one of these : http://www.modernastronomy.com/telescopes_swDobs.htm

i'll be getting one of these when i get my observatory built this summer auto track and a great price the aperture , also simple and i love the auto track idea..

sorry in that link scroll down tot he flex one with auto track,,, i'll be buying a 300 beast for a nip over a grand,,,

My 300p FlexTube barely takes up less spae than my old 200p/HEQ5 Pro and is a LOT heavier to carry in and out - It doesn't break down into small, easy to handle chunks.

Russell

The 200p is 1 metre long and as the 200 suggests 200mm aperture.

If its on the mount it's around 2 metres high and the tripod is about 1 metre on each side of the triangle of the tripod.

I keep mine on its HEQ5 mount in the living room.

It takes me 4 trips to take out the setup with power supply. Not a 5 minute job.

My garden is fairly sheltered so wind is not such a problem for me, the scope is fairly stable on the HEQ5 when I had my EQ5 any slight touch of the scope produced vibration.

The whole set up is a bit of a beast looks like a cannon.

so with the 250p you'd have a monster

My 300p FlexTube barely takes up less spae than my old 200p/HEQ5 Pro and is a LOT heavier to carry in and out - It doesn't break down into small, easy to handle chunks.

Russell

i know thats why i'm not buying one until my obsevatory is built..

About the only thing stopping me from owning a 300 is the storage problem. At least with the NEQ6 the tripod legs can be gathered close together and it will still stand up OK in a corner, and can be easily lifted over obstacles (without the mount attached).

Archived