Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

February meeting

bamus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow what a night out there - sorry i couldnt join u lads, i did briefly mention an apology to gary so hopefully he passed that on :D

saw orion looking fab, m35 & 37 gemini and auriga clusers - all looked amazing

mark i could have done with a wide field of view on those ! very sad i couldn't come

i am free next week and for most of this month now weather permitting !

Hi Si,

new site was a bit muddy , so we tried the airfield ... pretty good but not quite up to the usual site,

It was seriously cold hence me being home already !

Had the little one with me due to no sitters available and boy did she moan :mad:

well i hope you guys had a more productive night than i had, just got in (from the garden) been out there for a good few hours and achieved absolutely nothing..

when i say nothing i mean i didnt see anything,

been trying to set up the wedge for the 1st time, and its impossible... fist clear night in months.. not impressed :(

happy bday for today to the mrs bluey

so gary compared to old site 7/10 ?

i cant believe how much detail i could see in my dob last night - even from home where the lp is a joke.

i could split / see the 4 stars at the center of the orion nebula - assume that is normal for everyone ? could clearly see the shape of it without averted vision, saw the clusters m35 and m37 and immediately could see them brightly.... would have looked great at dengie

but i just couldnt see jupiter or the moons !!!! was really faint for some reason and i could see a glinting from it too - the 4 way cross type thing

v odd

well i hope you guys had a more productive night than i had, just got in (from the garden) been out there for a good few hours and achieved absolutely nothing..

when i say nothing i mean i didnt see anything,

been trying to set up the wedge for the 1st time, and its impossible... fist clear night in months.. not impressed :(

Had the latitude set to 51' everything facing north, followed the alignment sequence, handset said alignment achieved, then told it to track to Betelgeuse and it ened up pointed at the floor, in an easterly direction...

tried many time, came in read a few thing on-line about aligning the wedge, went out tried again, so on and so fourth until everthing was was almost set...

heres to next time!!

Well... How impressive was last night! First time I've been to a dark night and wow, it really makes a huge difference. Amazed what I could see through the 4se. The nebulosity from M42 filled my 25mm eyepiece with the Trapezium clearly visible. That alone made it all worthwhile, that and meeting the nice friendly people from Essex cloud dodgers.

Nice to have finally met Adam, Mark & Gary last night. The double cluster near Cassiopeia that Mark showed me through his telescope looked stunning.

Here's to another meet up soon.

Thanks Guys

Al

Well... How impressive was last night! First time I've been to a dark night and wow, it really makes a huge difference. Amazed what I could see through the 4se. The nebulosity from M42 filled my 25mm eyepiece with the Trapezium clearly visible. That alone made it all worthwhile, that and meeting the nice friendly people from Essex cloud dodgers.

Nice to have finally met Adam, Mark & Gary last night. The double cluster near Cassiopeia that Mark showed me through his telescope looked stunning.

Here's to another meet up soon.

Thanks Guys

Al

Its great the first time you see the sky from somewhere really dark! Glad you enjoyed it... Trouble is, your back garden will never look the same again -_-

Good to meet you too!

be warey of Mark though, he shows everyone his double cluster :D

Si, I got back early last night as my little one was cold ( how anyone can be cold with a T-shirt, jumper,coat and a blanket wrapped around them... Inside the car! I'll never know) but although it was clear last night the seeing wasn't consistent, lovely and stable then hazy and wobbly.

And yes, on a good night I can clearly see the 4 stars at the centre of Orion, think its called the trapezium.

Craig, do you have to tell your controller that the mount is in EQ. Mode, on my 4se it could be set up EQ or alt Az ,

Maybe yours does?

You'll have to do us a you tube video of it Craig... I could do with a laugh :D

Everyone's talking about the Jupiter transit last night... We couldn't see it :( through a 127 mak or a 4se... Did see it right next to the limb but then it was gone...

I passed on your good wishes as I took her tea in bed, got a sort of grunt so I presume she was happy :)

Glad the night went well, it was pretty windy here in gusts so just sat out in the garden and enjoyed the view.

Thanks for the good wishes to her indoors.

You'll have to do us a you tube video of it Craig... I could do with a laugh :D

Everyone's talking about the Jupiter transit last night... We couldn't see it :( through a 127 mak or a 4se... Did see it right next to the limb but then it was gone...

I watched a Transit a while ago, and could see Io as it crossed the limb but then it disappeared in the glare of the surface after a couple of minutes, the shadow was visible throughout though, a pretty cool thing to watch live.

Sounds like a good time was had by all. I was up early Saturday to do some extra work to earn astro cash..then collapsed when i got home. Will try and meet up at some point before the next outing. Al lives in Rayleigh, so just along the road from me......

Archived