Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st February 2013 - A Productive Hour Including A Sketch

Double Kick Drum

Just gone ten o'clock and I notice a clear sky (well I didn't recognise what it was to start with, pin [removed word] points of light against a dark background - I wasn't used to it).

Scrambled the scope to a state of readiness by 22:15 hrs and pointed it towards the Great Bear, which now dominated the Eastern sky and had risen quite high. An easy find was the galaxy NGC 3877, very close to Chi Ursae Majoris. At magnitude 11, this was not easy and looked like a small linear subtle wisp with averted vision which became more obvious with the 8mm X-Cel ED eyepiece. A short star hop to the East led to another galaxy NGC 3893, a larger wide oval haze which I found slightly easier to see.

I then began another star hop from Gamma Ursae Majoris (Phad) via M109 which was not as obvious as I had previously noted, and eventually landed on NGC 4026 which was perhaps the most prominent galaxy of the night. It was much more condensed than the others and very slightly elliptical.

Sadly some light cloud rolled in over the Eastern sky, so I switched to Orion just past its best in the Southwest. M42 and M43 looked mighty fine with the UHC-s filter on the 8mm eyepiece, although I couldn't pick up much texture. Something which I had managed previously on a slightly clearer night. Never the less, I managed to sketch it for the first time and will post a little later.

The clouds had thickened up by now and more of the sky was now obscured. My scope had also misted up a little so I called it a night.

Not the longest session ever but i'll take it right now!

__________________________________________________ ______

Observing Session: Friday, 1st February 2013, 22:15 hrs to 23:10 hrs GMT

VLM at Zenith: 5.1

New - Revisited - Failed

Neat, good sketch, mine look like spider scrawl. Never found much buzz with M109.

Burnham's Celestial Handbook lists about 110 galaxies in Ursa Major, there's plenty to see. I waited and waited for clear sky last night, only to wake up at 4.30 to see Lyra, Cygnus, Hercules , Corona B, right down to Serpens and Libra. Still high was the waning Moon.

Will be waiting again tonight, fingers crossed !

Nick.

Neat, good sketch, mine look like spider scrawl. Never found much buzz with M109.

Burnham's Celestial Handbook lists about 110 galaxies in Ursa Major, there's plenty to see. I waited and waited for clear sky last night, only to wake up at 4.30 to see Lyra, Cygnus, Hercules , Corona B, right down to Serpens and Libra. Still high was the waning Moon.

Will be waiting again tonight, fingers crossed !

Nick.

My Ursa list is up to 28 galaxies. Many of the NGCs are visually easier to see than M109. At a push, I might be able to get to 50 or so before needing more aperture or dark sky opportunity.

As for the sketch, by turning it into a negative, I seem to have lost some of the subtle nebulosity. I am not too dissappointed given I only decided to try a sketch at the last minute but do need a better set up, going forward.

Archived