Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ditch the CD!

Ags

Ditch the SaN CD!  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should BBC get rid of the CD glued to the front of Sky at Night Magazine?

• Yes
    • No

I hate the clunky CD stuck to the front of Sky At Night magazine. I'd rather see a cheaper magazine with no nistant-bubbish wasteful plastic rubbishy CD! If I want to watch videos there is always uTube.

Vote now to consign the poxy CD to the CD player of history :-)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmm - I'm in two minds about this. What would then make it sufficiently distinctive from Astromony Now in that case?

I have actually found some useful stuff on the cds, software etc. - Guess I could have got that elsewhere on the web, but it is handy as a relative newbie and I can see that being more useful as I learn to use my az-eq6 and dabble with basic imaging.

Plus, I'm always running out of coasters... . :grin:

It's the glue that really annoys me, but the idea of an awful lot of CDs just going to landfill doesn't make me happy either. I wonder if much of it couldn't be delivered electronically to those who are interested. But then as a wise man once said to me, "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a truckload of CDs".

James

I say ALL magazines should ditch the blumming CD's. Not only are they annoying as the darned glue they use sticks better than superglue (well the modern stuff) and they are not exactly environmentally friendly...it would be far better to put a serial number on the front and allow the programs to be downloaded from the website for up to 30 days until the next issue is released..save money..probably not, but it would be a step in the right direction of millions of CD being dumped into land fill every year..I am not environmentalist, but I hate waste and I hate the idea of resources being simply thrown into the bin when there is no need or justification..

Back in the mid '90 I collected the computer magazines avidly, evey little game or bit of software on the cover CD was in DOS and taken apart for me to learn how to programme, if it had not been for them my interests in computer would have probably died. Obviously the programmes on todays cover CDs are entirely different and probably more an extra advertisement than informative than in earliers years, I have to be honest and say that I have not bought a magazine in about 10 years :).

Jim

I've never bought Sky at Night simply because of the price, which I assume is related to the disk.

If they ditched it and lowered the price I would buy it probably as much as I buy Astronomy Now - 3 times a year or so.

The mere fact that this question is being asked means that the answer has to be yes. New computers that have CD drives built-in are a dying breed, no Apple Macs have them now, software delivery is going entirely network or Flash drive based (even HMV have some films on Flash thumb drive, though I think that concept is going to disappear the way of the commercial MiniDisc). I'm sure the CD will survive as a medium, just as vinyl has, and while I feel sorry for those who have a slow broadband link that's just the way things are going. The online content for each issue could be increased far beyond 650MB, though I think it's likely that the Sky at Night programme will no longer be available to download, it will just appear on the BBC iPlayer (maybe they will do a rolling back-issue each month too?), there could be an online version of the magazine available for iPad and other e-readers which would be purchased in the normal way online.

Having a stack of magazines that I read once or twice and a stack of CDs that I rarely even put in my drive, it's just physical space that I could be taking up with more telescopes to admire until the clouds one day part.

All my computers have optical drives, two of them Blu-Ray, but I'd still ditch the cover CD.

Oh, and apples are not the only fruit (Or computers for that matter), who cares if they don't have an optical drive?

A cynic might suggest that the lack of an optical drive in Apple products is a deliberate marketing strategy to encourage people to use Apple's "cloud"-based services because once you've done that it makes migration from Apple products in the future more difficult and that it may reflect a general view in Apple that their target market is not people who are not affluent enough to live somewhere there is high bandwidth internet connectivity.

James

Archived