Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focus

Hello :)

I would say the focus is off and its also perhaps a little overexposed (maybe not).

Its much easier to image planets with a webcam or similar. But it does mean having a laptop outside which is a pain.

Dan

how do I expose it correctly?

With a SLR its going to be hard to take pictures of the planets because of pixel size etc. Someone who knows more can explain more. A webcam is the preferred way of imaging the planets.

With a SLR its going to be hard to take pictures of the planets because of pixel size etc. Someone who knows more can explain more. A webcam is the preferred way of imaging the planets.

thanks. Do you thing I should try something like a star cluster?

Hi Ben

Planets are hard to capture with a SLR. Firstly they are really bright and are very small!!

As said before using a webcam is good as the pixel size creates 'magnification' similar to using a smaller eyepiece. (Webcam used in place of an eyepiece)

I would get a T Ring for your camera (if you can remove the lens) and try a bright deep sky object like cluster or M42 to see if that produces anything better?

HTH

Cheers

Jamie

I had the same problems when taking webcam photos with my telescope - I figured out that the problem was due to it requiring VERY fine focus, which was a bit beyond the reach of my Firstscope's rack and pinion - it would go into focus, then immediately out of focus. Sometimes it worked out perfectly, sometimes not. This only happened with the Webcam, though - the eyepieces give a good image for what they are.

Perhaps lube the focuser, or actuate it for a fair bit to see if the motion gets smoother, if your problem is similar to mine?

Archived