Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st look at orion nebula - just see stars ?

Hi All

I have finally had the clear skies (maybe not) to have my first look at the orion nebula with my 200p dob.

I used the supplied 25mm ep and a 12mm x-cel lx and all i could see were stars. I managed to see the the trapezium (i think) but my views were far from the ones shown in TLAorion.

Was I looking in the wrong place or were the conditions not as clear as they needed to be. The fact that i could see the trapezium I assumed that i should be able to see the M42 / M43.

Thanks for your comments

adrian

Hi Adrian

The nebulosity of m42 should be pretty obvious in most conditions and even in binoculars, and in the finderscope at least for me. Your 200p should make it out easy (and with the 25mm ep). Its just possible there was a thin cloud haze obscuting the nebula and sometimes the bright full (ish) moon can wash it out a bit though - do you have a big issue with Light pollution - that may reduce the visibility a bit. Sometimes you can see the nebula better with averted vision (look slightly to one side - this helped me a bit last night, especially once the moon was out). There are some tight groups of stars to the south of m42/m43, like Iota Orionis; sure you didn't mistake the trapezium for one of those? Or the group at 42 Orionis to the north? Apologies if you've already thought of these.

My guess is you weren't quite in the right place? Maybe your findescope and the main tube are slightly out of alignment? Might be worth rechecking and trying again - its worth persevering because its a gorgeous sight when you find it! Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Last night M42 was very clear in my 10" with a 30mm and a wide 10mm, stars were bright with an irregular greyish smudge like an ink stain spreading out.

Qualia has posted an image of a drawing he made of M42 here for reference

Unless the conditions were poor, the above suggestion of not quite the right area. This is a sketch which under good skies would be roughly how it might appear. The four close stars in the centre are the trapezium - is that what you saw - the central nebulosity around that area should be easy to detect in most conditions.

Google Image Result for http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/3415412-M42%20-%20Orion%20Nebula%20Sketch.jpg

andrew

Can't really add to the advice already, but for future hunts and discoveries, it might be worth your time investing in a decent star atlas or supplied app for android. An atlas really does help when out in the field and is an essential aid to star hopping.

Agree....dont expect to see 'hubble' esqe images of DSO...most of the time they are just smudges....however not sure what a nebula filter can bring to the table...I was looking at M42 the other night (yes it was clear...amazing)...and you get the greyish blue smudge of gas etc, but was wondering on whether a filter may help a bit. still a great sight though...

I have seen the nebulosity in an 80mm refractor so a 200mm newt should provide plenty of detail. If your eyes were adapted to the dark this shouldnt have been an issue, looks a bit like cotton wool :p smudge, no colour. for colours and detail you have to do astrophotography or get a great big light bucket :D

Unless the conditions were poor, the above suggestion of not quite the right area. This is a sketch which under good skies would be roughly how it might appear. The four close stars in the centre are the trapezium - is that what you saw - the central nebulosity around that area should be easy to detect in most conditions.

Google Image Result for http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/3415412-M42%20-%20Orion%20Nebula%20Sketch.jpg

andrew

I was checking it out the other evening and that sketch is pretty much bang on, despite my scope needing collimation. I also found averted vision helped bring out the clouds too.

I could easily see the neb with my 130m now I have my 200p it stands out even better, with a UHC filter the Trap stars take on a strange glow but the actual neb is alot more striking with a distinct greenish tinge. So I'd agree with Marki, very thin cloud (which you wont see with your eye) can effect the view thru the scope. Also, it may sound daft but 'practise' also helps, as in the more u view an object the more your eye gets used to it and the more detail starts to come out.

Steve

Thanks for all the tips guys.....I'll try again once the skies are clear.

Although that is one thing that I have found out since the arrival of by 200p... it is never clear

I never realised just how many nights were cloudy

Has anyone done the percentages of clear nights to cloudy as it must be very low.

thanks again and i will post again once I have seen the elusive nebula.

I've found in both my binoculars and my scope M42 has a habit of outright vanishing with direct vision, despite its overall brightness and not being hard to see with averted vision. This is with pretty heavy light pollution.

Hi Adrian

i was looking at the Orion Nebula with the same eye piece last night although with a smaller scope. The vew I had last night wasn't great. Like you described I could only really see the stars with little nebulosity. I think this was down to a very thin layer of high cloud passing over where I was viewing from. Stick with it as the view I had 4 weeks ago was great and to be truthful the view last night was a bit disappointing. I'm only getting into astronomy but I would say some of the more seasoned members would tell you that conditions are very important to the quality of viewing.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Again

sorry for the delay but as promised I am responding now that I have found finally seen it.

It was last week, a clear night (the few that there are) and as you guys sad it was where you said it was:)

It maybe wasnt quite as big in the scope as suggested by TLAO but it was still impressive. i am assuming the limited size was due to the conditions not being clear enough or maybe the light pollution.

I looked best in the 12mm x-cel but again I am assuming if it was alli in view then a wider lens would have been needed.

One thing i have learnt in my few weeks of stargazing is that it is very "difficult to get bored" with the hobby as due to the lack of clear nights it is "very difficult to get bored". I think at this rate I will still be seeing new objects when I am 6 feet under:)

At least the 200p is a nice ornament in the dining room whilst it is cloudy

Good news that you finaly got to see it, its well worth the wait. Conditions are everything with astronomy. Some nights you can see an object clearly and the next, you struggle with no obvious reason. It can be any number of reasons, the moon, a slight increase in light pollution or air pollution. For nebula, I would definately consider a UHC filter (more so than a OIII filter), this will block certain light passing into the eyepeice, whilst allowing the correct light through making the nebula stand out more against a black background (though it will have a green hue). Another tip, if youre not sure, whether you're actually looking at something......for example the Crab Nebula which is very faint, and sometimes you think you maybe looking at it but not sure, just try moving the scope back and to, with the handset or slo mo, if you're on the object, you will notice something very faint move in the eyepeice

Archived