Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Nottingham

Angus Wright

Looking at the image of Europe from space at night hanging on the wall of the society I am a member of and seeing the extent of the light pollution in the UK I wonder what possesses us to try to be amateur astronomers in this country. And then I glimpse the giant swirl of the Great Red Spot and Jupiter emerges from behind the cloud for a few fleeting moments and I think 'Oh yes, that's why!'

It was 1988 when I got my first good view through an astronomical telescope - Mars with a 24" Newtonian at a close opposition and I have been hooked ever since so I hope I can both contribute and learn here on SGL.

Thanks for the welcomes. The 24" is at Sherwood Observatory, the home of Mansfield and Sutton Astronomical Society, and it's a Newtonian now but I remember in 1988 it was operating at the coudé focus at F12. I don't know what magnification was being used that night but I don't know if I've seen Jupiter showing a larger apparent disc since then!

Archived