Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Sutton Coldfield Astro Club

kingjoshtheposh

There are lots of good spots in Sutton Park, i have been a few times. The problem is that once the gates are locked it can be a long walk with heavy gear to get to a good spot from somewhere you can park your car. I have taken my little Mak in, but there is no way I could take my 200p. Just taking binoculars and on my bike (with a good off-road lighting set) is a lot of fun though.

There are lots of good spots in Sutton Park, i have been a few times. The problem is that once the gates are locked it can be a long walk with heavy gear to get to a good spot from somewhere you can park your car. I have taken my little Mak in, but there is no way I could take my 200p. Just taking binoculars and on my bike (with a good off-road lighting set) is a lot of fun though.

Yeh, that's what I thought. No good for me as I'd wouldn't want to lug gear to far from car. :(

huumm..... right, i have been looking at the light pollution survey and the lowest LP round Sutton is near Canwell hall... any takers? there's good road access, and there's a waffle place that nearby, hows that sound?

Not been there. What's it like?

• 3 weeks later...

Having a ride around Sutton Park at the weekend I noticed that although most of the gates are locked at dusk, some are left open for access to the various restaurants in the park. For example, the Town gate entrance is open until at least 11pm. A look on Google maps shows one or two potential sites, quite close to the roads around this area. One is the other side of a stream from the access road, screened off by trees. Obviously not much use in the summer, when it doesn't get dark until 11pm, but certainly could be useful in the winter.

I will have to get back there on my bike, have a proper look round and find out the restauant opening hours.

Archived