Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 / HEQ5 mounts

I got the HEQ5 as my first mount with a C8 SCT, then got a WOZ 66 for widefield but found the load was abit too much for AP with the 5 so got an NEQ6 which is great, very stable but it's VERY heavy. I still use the the HEQ5, it's not quite grab n go but it is more managable. If you do get one go for the Synscan not the syntrek as it will cost you more to upgrade later if you want goto.

Speak to FLO if you want the 200p and HEQ5, they will probably do you a deal, swapping out the EQ5 for the HEQ5. They did this for me as I wanted the HEQ5 not the CG5 GT that came with the C8.

Putting the motors on an EQ5 will just not the same and I doubt you'd be happy with it in the end.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://astrocasto.blogspot.co.uk/ All these photos where taken using both the 200p & later in the blog an ED80, all photo's were taken using the EQ5 mount with dual axis motors they consist of unguided photo's and guided photos using the EQ5 mount modified to accept the ST4 guideport with a modified webcam in the supplied (again modified) 9x50 finderscope as a guidescope to keep the wieght down, guided with PHD. Personally, I'd be VERY happy with achieving anything even near the standard of these images. It shows what can be done on a budget with a bit of with a lot of practise & a loy of patience plus a great deal of ingenuity. :grin:

Steve

You could buy from Astronomia they do a full price trade in if you upgrade within a year.

I started with the SW200p on the EQ5 mount.

I traded upto the HEQ5 pro synscan recently and just paid the difference between the Eq5 and HEQ5. That way you can start small and build up as you get into it more.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

As a newbie I completely agree with you nebula the consistency of the consensus is making me look more for a HEq5 or NEq6 if I can stretch the budget a bit. I might have to compromises tho as the Mrs will have kittens unless I can find a used one on ABS. I managed to get a good deal on returned /A grade 200pds so now have to find a serious mount lol.

Umfortunately for those reading this blog Astronomia has ceased trading. For me tis is a big shame as it was one of my best local suppliers of kit. And the reuptation and knowledge base of the staff was fantastic they even gave me advice when my son decided to do his GCSE in astronomy which kicked me back into astronomy 35yrs after I gave up for girls etc.

And none of the kit I have now was even available to a normal amature astronomer they wete a god send.

Archived