Narrowband

EQ5 / HEQ5 mounts

Can any one shed a bit of light on the eq5 mount. I have search the net and sometimes found confusing or conficting information about it

What is the differnace between a EQ5 and a HEQ5 ?

Can you get a HEQ5 but without the motor drive system and then upgrade to drives or goto at a later date ?

I have also seen where a EQ5 has been discribed as a "Delux Heavy duty mount" is that an HEQ5 ?

Once the mounts are set up (i am thinking about standing it in my spare room for storage) is the overal footprint of the EQ5 and HEQ5 the same and the only "heavy" bit is the head

What is the differnace in the overal weight once set up (again for carrying from my spare room to my Garden without dismantling) between the EQ5 & HEQ5

I am looking to buy one for use on a Sky watcher 200 PDS (not purchased yet) intiaily for viewing, but eventually for some photography with a DSLR cannon 350D

Sorry for so many question in one post,

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The HEQ5 is the recommended mount for starting out in AP as it has the st4 port built in for guiding (u can diy one onto the EQ5 but its tricky) The stepper motors on the HEQ5 are also more pricise (helpful for AP) if your not on a budget i'd recommend the HEQ5 the mount head is heavier than the EQ5 but the tripod legs are the same & it'll leave the same 'footprint' (neither is light btw :eek:) ) I'd also add that imaging with a 200pds will really be at the limits of the HEQ5 & most people would advise you to get the NEQ6.

Steve

The two mounts are entirely different - it is unfortunate that they both carry the "EQ5" in their names. The HEQ5 is a much heavier and robust mount than the EQ5, the tripods being essentially the same.

The EQ5 can be bought motorless and can be upgraded with either "dual axis motors" or the "PRO goto upgrade" The motors/electronics are different for these two versions.

The basic HEQ5 comes with simple motor drive - which is suitable for visual observing. It can be upgraded to Syntrek with new (different) motors and controllers and a simple handset, or Synscan which adds a more complex goto handset. You can also buy an off the shelf Syntrek or Synscan version. Just to confuse things many folk upgrade the Synscan mount with a laptop and EQMOD software which gives full goto plus far more functionality than the Skywatcher goto upgrade.

I can carry my EQ5 (without weights) easily in one hand, my HEQ5 takes two hands! Normally the mount would be carried seperated from the OTA (telescope tube) and the tripod. Thus you have three manageable pieces to move (plus the weights etc).

If you have the slightest interest in photography you would be well advised to get the HEQ5 as a minimum.

Hope this helps.

Can any one shed a bit of light on the eq5 mount. I have search the net and sometimes found confusing or conficting information about it

What is the differnace between a EQ5 and a HEQ5 ?

Can you get a HEQ5 but without the motor drive system and then upgrade to drives or goto at a later date ?

I have also seen where a EQ5 has been discribed as a "Delux Heavy duty mount" is that an HEQ5 ?

Once the mounts are set up (i am thinking about standing it in my spare room for storage) is the overal footprint of the EQ5 and HEQ5 the same and the only "heavy" bit is the head

What is the differnace in the overal weight once set up (again for carrying from my spare room to my Garden without dismantling) between the EQ5 & HEQ5

I am looking to buy one for use on a Sky watcher 200 PDS (not purchased yet) intiaily for viewing, but eventually for some photography with a DSLR cannon 350D

Sorry for so many question in one post,

As Bizibilder mentioned EQ5 and HEQ5 is completely unrelated.

Skywatcher sold the EQ5, and then introduced the heavier EQ6. Then they realised there is a market for an intermediate mount, so they produced a lighter version of the EQ6. However, they couldn't find another whole number between 5 and 6, so they ended up calling this EQ6 light a HEQ5.

Unlike the EQ5 which uses a modular construction, EQ6 and HEQ5 doesn't have this features. Their drives are not upgradeable in the same way EQ5's drives are.

If you want to do imaging, then you need to get the HEQ5.

There are a few SGL members who have used the 200P on an EQ5 for imaging. I think it's fair to say that whilst it's possible, there's no way it can be considered easy. I think at least one person who started with an EQ5 said that they wished they'd gone for the HEQ5 straight away having decided to upgrade. Go for the HEQ5. It's one less thing to worry about and if you're imaging you'll have enough of those to start with.

James

I have a 200P on an EQ5 and when funds permit, the next thing I'm getting is an EQ6.

The EQ5 has been upgraded with motors but I'll be taking them off and it'll be used as a manual roaming / travel mount.

The EQ6 'll be something new to play with indoors while the rain and the clouds go whizzing by outside............. :BangHead:

Hi I started with a SW 200p on an EQ5 mount.

It was transportable complete with the scope if a little high to get out of the patio doors.

Upgraded to an Heq5 pro synscan much more stable even in yesterday's wind.

Can't move the complete setup anymore too heavy.

Takes 3 trips to the garden to set up.

Another 15 mins to setup polar allign etc.

I do miss the bung the scope in the garden and have a quick look rough point to north and go.

But you can move the scope and use it in a semi manual mode with a rough alignment and it tracks all on its own.

Hello - Thanks to you all for your replies, it is all good stuff.

But just to be clear the tripod on both the EQ5 and HEQ5 are almost the same (open size for storage), but no matter how much you upgrade the EQ5 (reported as fully up gradeable) it can never be a HEQ5 because the heads are completely different ?

One last point are the HEQ5 heads sold seperately ?

You are right in your assumption - an EQ5 is totally different to an HEQ5. When you say "are the HEQ5 heads sold seperately?" I assume you mean without the tripod? The answer is no - the suppliers only sell the mounts with a tripod. You may find a second hand head without a tripod. What you will find is quite a few folk with spare tripods, as many mounts are put on piers and the tripods become redundant.

The basic HEQ5 comes with simple motor drive - which is suitable for visual observing. It can be upgraded to Syntrek with new (different) motors and controllers and a simple handset, or Synscan which adds a more complex goto handset. You can also buy an off the shelf Syntrek or Synscan version. Just to confuse things many folk upgrade the Synscan mount with a laptop and EQMOD software which gives full goto plus far more functionality than the Skywatcher goto upgrade.

If I want a HEQ5 that will track a star do I opt for the Syntrek? Does this system also allow for accurate tracking of the moon? I'm not interested in paying extra for a 'goto' system at this stage as I'm only just starting.

Thanks

Ed

The HEQ5 is the recommended mount for starting out in AP as it has the st4 port built in for guiding (u can diy one onto the EQ5 but its tricky) The stepper motors on the HEQ5 are also more pricise (helpful for AP) if your not on a budget i'd recommend the HEQ5 the mount head is heavier than the EQ5 but the tripod legs are the same & it'll leave the same 'footprint' (neither is light btw :eek:) ) I'd also add that imaging with a 200pds will really be at the limits of the HEQ5 & most people would advise you to get the NEQ6.

Steve

I believe the EQ5 Pro goto now does have the ST4 port as per FLO's page spec & photo of it.

Maybe this is a newer version?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5-pro-synscan-goto.html

Been looking at the mounts myself but my 100ED DS Pro is only 3KG, so connected to EQMOD or PHD with such a light payload (+350d cam & GS of course) wondered if that EQ5 Pro goto would be good for AP in my case since it's not pushed with weight?

Is weight the biggest factor or does the resolution (Arcsecs) of the steppers make a huge difference?

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/prerequisites.html

I believe the EQ5 Pro goto now does have the ST4 port as per FLO's page spec & photo of it.

http://www.firstligh...nscan-goto.html

Been looking at the mounts myself but my 100ED DS Pro is only 3KG, so connected to EQMOD or PHD with such a light payload (+350d cam & GS of course) wondered if that EQ5 Pro goto would be good for AP in my case since it's not pushed with weight?

Is weight the biggest factor or does the resolution (Arcsecs) of the steppers make a huge difference?

http://eq-mod.source...requisites.html

It's a bit of both but it's mainly the motors that make the difference the heq5 is much more accurate under guidance

http://www.firstligh...nscan-goto.html

http://eq-mod.source...requisites.html

Yes the pro version does, its nearly £300 more than the basic EQ5. :eek:

I use an EQ5 for my 200PDS, its a great mount for visual obsevation but I wouldn't bother with AP with it, definately the HEQ5 for AP, I don't think you need to go as far as an NEQ6 though

For imaging with a 200pds i'd prefer the NEQ6 :grin: but thats a whole load more money to shell out, which is one of the reasons i'm modding my standard EQ5 with an st4 port, tricky yes but If ur on a budget its better than nothing.

Steve :grin:

Yes. You will have a far easier time, even with the smaller scope. You will also be somewhat future proof should you get a larger (heavier) scope or add cameras/guiding etc - You never know, you know!

You can always put a little scope on a big mount but you cannot put a big scope on a small one!! :grin:

Hi

What a nightmare decision these mounts seem to be!! :eek: but as it seems that the sky-watcher200p tends to be advertised

with an EQ5 mount in all its various STD forms (meaning non HEQ) are then these STD mounts really a good enough

mount just for viewing? :huh:

its just that I seem to keep reading conflicting views on this point or is it that it’s just down to people’s personal opinion/preference??

Or is there a HEQ5, EQ6 and now I believe EQ7 owners club tie ??? (Just kidding :grin: :grin: ).

gra.

Unfortunately the suppliers sell scopes that tend to be mounted on the smallest practical mount, presumably to try and keep the headline price as low as possible. It also means that you almost certainly will have to upgrade - and buy another mount - thus making them even more money! Nothing wrong with that - they are in business to sell you things, which they manage to do very well. Your job is to decide what it is that you really want to do and buy accordingly.

The 200P is one of the most popular sized scopes for the "serious" observer and, for visual work, the EQ5 is adequate. As soon as you venture into photography everything changes and the minimum mount becomes the HEQ5 or, preferably the EQ6.

Hi

Yep your right they are not in the business for fun, but they will sell you OTA’s on their own

but not a head, cleaver its win, win for them.

However on a purely viewing front would an HEQ5 take anything bigger than a 200?

Or is that far too much for it to cope with and into the EQ6+ territory? As I see there is a marked difference in tube size.

gra

Yes. You will have a far easier time, even with the smaller scope. You will also be somewhat future proof should you get a larger (heavier) scope or add cameras/guiding etc - You never know, you know!

You can always put a little scope on a big mount but you cannot put a big scope on a small one!! :grin:

Thanks man :smiley:

Suppose I can add a nicer guide scope and not have to worry about weight either.

cheers

neil

As with anything, there are ways and means, I caught the imaging bug a few months ago & although I'd read up on the subject & knew the HEQ5 was the minimum 'recommended' mount for AP I still went ahead and bought the 200p/EQ5 it is possible to achieve VERY good AP with the 200p/EQ5 :eek: (but its by no means the best way) People on a budget have to compromise & I'm in no position to offer advice on wether you should try it, but I'm giving it a go.

The reason: I'm not able to afford the NEQ6 until next year so I needed something I could use in the meantime, I read alot & i'm in contact with a very helpful member of this forum who has generously been taking his time answering my many questions & giving me invaluable advice on how he has managed some fantastic AP with this set up, its in no way easy but it'll keep me occupied until I've got the money for the better mount & at the end of the day I still have a very capable visual setup. For visual the EQ5 is adequate for the 200p but any strong gusts of wind will make it shake like mad.

Steve

Archived