Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 150p or 200p

Hi,

I'm sure this has been covered and I fear I know the answer (get the best you can afford) but I am torn between the 150p dob and the 200p dob Skywatcher Skyliner as my first 'scope. Could anyone give me any advice on these and what the noticible differences I can expect between these two in terms of what I will see on one and not the other.

Thanks in advance.

Ye canna change the Laws of Physics, Jim - the larger the aperture the better (smaller) will be the resolution of the scope.

All other things being equal - like can you actually lift the scope, will your chosen mount be beefy enough - aperture is still king. Hope this helps.

8 inch will give you much more detail than 6 when looking at fainter objects. If its a dob your after then the 200p should be a nice starting point, however if you can only afford the 150p its also a great scope.

Hi,

I'm sure this has been covered and I fear I know the answer (get the best you can afford) but I am torn between the 150p dob and the 200p dob Skywatcher Skyliner as my first 'scope. Could anyone give me any advice on these and what the noticible differences I can expect between these two in terms of what I will see on one and not the other.

Thanks in advance.

Hi & Welcome,

If you really have no room at all, and you also need to move far away to do use it and have no car, then the 150P will be slightly more portable, but the views won't be as good as with the 200P.

The aperture is probably the most important factor to consider, so if the extra size of the 200P is not a problem for you, you should definitely go for the 200P as it will give you better views then the 150P and can still be stored vertically on a corner on its own dob mount.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the comments.

As you can tell I'm a total novice and am blinded by how much there is out there and want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

How does this compare.....

Sky Watcher Explorer-150P (EQ3-2)

Archived