Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Can any advise a good bunch if eye pieces that I can buy for about £150 I already have the 10mm & 25mm that came with my scope and don't have clue what others I should get???

Gaz

I'm guessing an f/5 newt which will be a little unforgiving on poorer quality EPs.

So by way of example - in no particular order or focus on price - you might want to check out the following:

Explore Scientific - ES80s & ES100s range.

Meade 5000 UWAs

Anything Tele Vue.

William Optics UWANs

Skywatcher Nirvanas

Pentax XF & XW ranges.

BSTs

X-Cels LXs

Baader Genuine Orthos.

I'd thoroughly recommend the Pentax eyepieces in Qualias list but they are generally twice your budget so you'd either need to pick another or save a bit longer.

• Like 1

What 'scope will they be for and what were you planning on looking at?

Cheers

I have the sky watcher 130p and I am still a beginner so I am still looking at anything I can fix the scope on

Look no further than the BST Starguiders from Alan at Sky's the Limit. He has an Ebay shop too. At under £50 per EP, they're a no brainer. Buy the 18, 12 & 8mm. :)

Your current 25mm is good enough (for the moment) and you'll find that the weaker 10mm is little used if you buy the range above. Ebay it, where you will garner more than it is worth with some crisp photos.

Russell

• Like 3

I've learnt from my experiences it's better to have a few really nice EPs than plenty of cheap ones. My current line up consists of 7 & 12mm Naglers and an Explore Scientific 82degree 30mm I 've had all sorts including 15, 16, 20 & 24mm but they didn't get used. Just one wide EP and then concentrate on the high mag as that is where a few mm make all the difference. I have one more on my wish list to complete my line up but it is between the 7 & 12 not the 12 & 30 as it's for the planetary views that you need to adjust magnification to get the most out of the seeing conditions. Btw that also considers that my visual scopes are an 8" SCT with a 2m focal length and a 14" dob with a 1.6m focal length so my top end of magnification may differ from yours slightly.

Edited by haitch
  • Like 2

Isn't £150 about what you payed for the scope?

Buy a Vixen NPL 15mm for £30 and a Telrad (about £40)- should keep you going for a while.

• Like 1

Even a good scope will probably get upgraded eventually but a good eyepiece can last you through a lifetime's observing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've read lots of good things on here about BST eyepieces so I've just gone and bought the 8mm one. I struggled a bit with the 10mm eyepiece that came with my scope, it was like looking through a little keyhole lol.

• Like 1

Hi There,

The 8mm is a great ep, solid, lots of eye relief and a nice screw up rubber eye cup.

Enjoy

I have the 8mm BST / Starguider in an F5 and have been very happy with it. I went and bought 12mm, 15mm and 18mm at Astrofest yesterday which is something of an endorsement I guess!

Of course you can get wider angles and crisper views but you have to spend a lot. Based on recent ebay activity, used BSTs appear to hold their value well also.

good choice . the starguiders are well regarded.

I've just got 7mm Celestron X-cel LX for my skywatcher 130p. Big improvement on the stock 10mm eyepiece

• Like 1

A quick update on my case. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

post-10522-136051757371_thumb.jpg

I'd reopmmend used televue plossls. you'll get them between £50-75 so three should be doable (or two and a televue barlow).

with a TV barlow, a 15mm and 11mm TVP and what you already have you'd have a great range of magnifications and excellent quality.

that said, a good red dot finder (e.g. rigel quikfinder), a star map and a TV barlow might be a better place to start.

I agree with you on every point (+1 for the bst ed,s) but don't sell the Plossl, like hiatch said, at one point youre gonna upgrade the scope and it will sell worse without the original eyepieces

Hi all, great reading on this site, I've been glued to it all weekend, and just had to get involved!

I was given an F9 Astromaster 76EQ as a very random gift, and I have to say I think I'm hooked. I've looked at the moon and Jupiter in the half dozen times I've had the scope out, and been amazed at the views.

So, I've been looking into eyepieces (no pun intended), as the supplied 10mm and 20mm are most likely about as bog standard as they come, and I would like to start building my collection of EPs.

I have been offered a used 5mm bst starguider for a good price, and was just wondering if it is right for my scope before I try to grab a bargain :) Any advice here here would be greatly appreciated...

Not wanting to Hijack the thread,and have been studying thread for a while. I am in the same predicament as Big-GAz. Got a new Sky-watcher 130p also with the 10mm and 25mm eye pieces. Now looking at what to get for better viewing but the choice is massive. Was considering getting a zoom? Maybe Meade 8-24 4000 series or Sky-watcher 8-24. Mainly want to view Lunar and Planetary. Budget about £100. Where do i go? All help appreciated as above.

Not wanting to Hijack the thread,and have been studying thread for a while. I am in the same predicament as Big-GAz. Got a new Sky-watcher 130p also with the 10mm and 25mm eye pieces. Now looking at what to get for better viewing but the choice is massive. Was considering getting a zoom? Maybe Meade 8-24 4000 series or Sky-watcher 8-24. Mainly want to view Lunar and Planetary. Budget about £100. Where do i go? All help appreciated as above.

well please take my opinion lightly as im not exactly experiened. but id say a decent zoom would be fine for planetary and lunar work. you can use the lowest mag to locate the area and adjust the mag to suit. as long as you dont mind a narrower field of view ,should be fine.

i think from reading reviews and opinions the sw 8-24mm is a better product than the sw 7-21mm. the meade zoom 8-24 are also rated well.

Look no further than the BST Starguiders from Alan at Sky's the Limit. He has an Ebay shop too. At under £50 per EP, they're a no brainer. Buy the 18, 12 & 8mm. :)

Your current 25mm is good enough (for the moment) and you'll find that the weaker 10mm is little used if you buy the range above. Ebay it, where you will garner more than it is worth with some crisp photos.

Russell

Excellent call - you could even just try the 8mm or 12mm and see how you on in the first instance. Enjoy your new telescope.

andrew

As I'm also going to try splashing out on a couple of bits this month (namely some collimation tools and eyepieces) I just had a couple of questions that I thought I'd tag on to this thread.

I have a Skywatcher 150 with stock eyepieces. I like the 25mm, but not so keen on the 10mm or the barlow. So, my thoughts are get a better barlow and 10mm, but the eyepiece kits seem to be a tempting offer. Are they actually worth the money or would they not give any significant improvement? E.g, this kit at FLO:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/celestron-eyeopener-eyepiece-and-filter-kit.html

I've already decided to order the collimation bits from FLO anyway, so I'd prefer to order the eyepieces from there as well to make things a bit easier. Are there any on there that are worth purchasing or are the links in the above posts a better option? Budget would be around £150, but as ever these days, the more I can save then the better!

I have the 8mm BST / Starguider in an F5 and have been very happy with it. I went and bought 12mm, 15mm and 18mm at Astrofest yesterday which is something of an endorsement I guess!

Of course you can get wider angles and crisper views but you have to spend a lot. Based on recent ebay activity, used BSTs appear to hold their value well also.

I hope you bought them off Alan Willison (of Sky's the Limit) at £42 as the Orion versions were also at the show at twice the price!