SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing in Windy conditions

Marki

Pretty windy here in York tonight. Gusting up to c. 20-25mph. Its been so long since its been clear I don't want to miss out so I'm setting up. Whilst my AZ-EQ6 seems pretty beefy, I think I might forego my longer 'fracs tonight and try and see how I get along with my 8SE tube, and set up a little closer to the house - bit more sheltered albeit a more restricted view..

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with windy conditions? Do you even bother? Is there an upper limit where you give up? I assume its a no-no for imagers (unless you are in an obsy?). Do you perfer a particular scope type as more wind resilient (less sail like)?

As Moonshane says needs must. Depending on the strength of the wind, I might chance venturing as far as my backyard, which is fairly well sheltered with high walls and bushes whilst retaining a fairly decent southerly aspect. My fork mounted SCT is reasonably stable enough if sheltered from the worst gusts, but I would probably just use binoculars for a short spell instead.

I had a go with my ST80 tonight, was quite susceptible to wind wobble even at x13. Really small tube but really flakey mount (EQ1). As people have said, needs must, and I would've liked to stay with it for a bit despite the gusts.

But, I'd barely started when haze drifted in and everything dulled down to pointless in a few minutes. I was just getting stuck into M38 for the first time too, big disappointment when it murked up :(

Hope you had more luck.

I'm off to sulk.

A couple of us in our group had arranged a session for tonight, as with other posters, our first clear - ish night in ages, but with 200 and 250 newts on EQ5 & 6 mounts they would have caught the wind like a sail and get buffeted around. Waste of effort driving to our dark site just to come back disappointed. Cant believe how bad this last couple of months have been, had one session in the garden since the start of December.

Thanks for the responses all - I was curious as to how other people find these conditions. My SCT managed very well last night - minimal shake. Shanes comment above re dew is right - I forget to put my dew shield on the tube, but had no problems at all. Gave up around 11ish as it started to cloud over and the moon got nice and high - no good as I was galaxy hunting. Still managed to spot M51 (just) though - a new one for me.

At my dark site it can get very windy - I always check the forecast before I go, and if there's any chance of more than a breeze I take a windbreak (big cheap one with wooden poles). I also use my car as a further windbreak.

If it's breezy I remove the dewshield from my dob, and I may also remove the shroud - these things just act as sails, and you never get dewing when it's windy. If the image is shaky then I put a heavy weight (my powertank) in the dob base to steady it a bit.

If it's too windy then I just won't go out - but it's possible to observe in quite gusty conditions.

I think you covered just about all you could. I know that when you have weather like the UK dishes out you have to grab what you can get when you can. The only thing you can do it to try to get in the lee of a building and as you did go short tube.

I had 40-45 K/H last night at 18.00hrs by 2130hrs it was still and the sky was stunning, but I knew that would happen it always does.

Alan.

Archived