SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL8 Challenges

Photosbykev

So my last reply was about technical challenges, for during the day. I should think about the question as it was meant, and I think...

...my usual observing site is my S facing garden, so I can never get to M51 or M81/M82. I'd love to get a look at those and the other stuff near the N celestial pole that I can't normally see.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M33 is something that I'm after seeing... Will be working on that!

When the forum first decided to go to Lucksall for SGL4 I went to the site to determine the quality of the night sky. I took my Celestron 15x70 binos and viewed M33 with ease. So with clear sky you could be on a winner.

Mark

Well, my challenge for SGL8 will now be putting my tent up by myself! My other half has just been informed that he has to take on extra responsibilities at work and won't be able to go! I'll be going on my own instead!

On the plus side, I get a double air bed to myself and I now have 2 tickets for myself for the hog roast....

Apart from having clear skies the target agin this SGL is Saturn. I have fond memories of SGL7 at 2 in teh morning just sitting drinking in the best views of Saturn Ive had with my F15 and F7.5 refractors, especially when Steve (Ibbo) brought along his Tak eyepiece collection :grin:

Apart from having clear skies the target agin this SGL is Saturn. I have fond memories of SGL7 at 2 in teh morning just sitting drinking in the best views of Saturn Ive had with my F15 and F7.5 refractors, especially when Steve (Ibbo) brought along his Tak eyepiece collection :grin:

Also, I remember Mars very well, I got a really good webcam image from SGL7.

Also, I remember Mars very well, I got a really good webcam image from SGL7.

I remember seeing mars dark patches - even at 1340mm surprised the hell out of me. Saturn was also a really good target!

To add to my initial comment above, following the success of my first couple of sessions with my Orion Optics 12" dobsonian I'm really looking forward to getting it under the dark skies of Lucksall :smiley:

My targets will include:

- Repeating my sighting of Sirius B

- Jupiter - GRS contrast details hopefully plus other subtle details

- Saturn (of course !) - maybe ring features in addition to the Cassini Division ?

- Seeing spiral structure in M51 and possibly other suitable galactic targets

- Burrowing into some globular clusters at high magnification

• 2 weeks later...

Archived