Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL8 Challenges

Photosbykev

I've just started compiling a daily list of the various astro events that will be happening during the SGL8 from Monday 11th through to the following Monday.

One target that springs to mind is the new moon on the 12th, under a day old but looks like a reasonable photographic challenge

post-4594-0-37284500-1359569907_thumb.jp

There is also a solar transit by the ISS on the 13th but would require a 20 minute drive to get on the centreline.

There will also be the daily challenge to get in front of Matthew in the breakfast queue.

Any other challenges that people are going to be aiming for during their stay?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won`t be there until Fri afternoon but for anyone else already there. I`m looking into the details regarding an occultation of a mag +9.27 star (TYC 5572-00357-1) by Saturn which begins at about 23h 20m on Thurs 14th. Saturn will be to the south at about 25 degrees elevation. The star will pass behind the rings, then the planet itself, until finally reappearing the other side of the planet at 3h 47m on Fri 15th.

I first noticed this event in the BAA handbook and I got the rough times from my planetarium programme Redshift 5.

If anyone has more details or confirmed times please correct me.

I will likely be observing it from home, then I will be off to SGL8 on the Friday afternoon. What better way to get a star party started!

I won`t be there until Fri afternoon but for anyone else already there. I`m looking into the details regarding an occultation of a mag +9.27 star (TYC 5572-00357-1) by Saturn which begins at about 23h 20m on Thurs 14th. Saturn will be to the south at about 25 degrees elevation. The star will pass behind the rings, then the planet itself, until finally reappearing the other side of the planet at 3h 47m on Fri 15th.

I first noticed this event in the BAA handbook and I got the rough times from my planetarium programme Redshift 5.

If anyone has more details or confirmed times please correct me.

I will likely be observing it from home, then I will be off to SGL8 on the Friday afternoon. What better way to get a star party started!

Using Starry Night Pro Saturn is only 7 degrees above the horizon and on an Az of 122 degrees at 23:20 ?? The star does pass behind the rings and Saturn

post-4594-0-68006900-1359580225_thumb.jp

The movie shows the movement from 23:20 to 06:00 (If it loads ok lol)

Saturn5572-357-1.mov

I'm hoping that, given luck and a following wind, I'll have a Celestar mount and C8 OTA to jigsaw together. That's jigsaw as in puzzle, not powertool... :eek:

If that goes well, we move onto the more advanced task of piggybacking my ST80... I'm hoping there'll be eager volunteers, as I have little idea on this one :)

If nothing else, it may be good spectator sport for the rest of you :D

I'm hoping that, given luck and a following wind, I'll have a Celestar mount and C8 OTA to jigsaw together. That's jigsaw as in puzzle, not powertool... :eek:

If that goes well, we move onto the more advanced task of piggybacking my ST80... I'm hoping there'll be eager volunteers, as I have little idea on this one :)

If nothing else, it may be good spectator sport for the rest of you :D

A top bar between the C8 rings with the ST80 rings bolted to that or a side by side bar from ADM?

A top bar between the C8 rings with the ST80 rings bolted to that or a side by side bar from ADM?

The first (the C8 will be fork mounted so I guess it's the only option).

I'm already thinking I maybe getting carried away with myself though, with that one and 2" eps and so on, given I'm a newbie still and haven't even seen the C8 or mount yet! Maybe I should just aim to get the thing setup and look at some stuff :D

To be honest if we get a couple of clear nights for me to point the ST80 into, I'll be pretty happy :) Just observing seems quite a challenge these days!

Not yet decided. My brain starts to fizz and bubble at the thought of all I want to do! I must be disciplined and think of a couple of good imaging objects for the two nights. Can anyone suggest a couple? I now have a modded camera so poss the rosette neb?

Alexxx

I would like to have a look at NGC 2419 in Lynx again. Otherwise known as The Intergalactic Wanderer. It `s a distant globular cluster which I cannot see from home.

The first time I saw it was at the Kelling Spring Star Party, so good dark skies are essential for a visual peek.

Also, finding it would tick off a Caldwell object, number 25.

Not yet decided. My brain starts to fizz and bubble at the thought of all I want to do! I must be disciplined and think of a couple of good imaging objects for the two nights. Can anyone suggest a couple? I now have a modded camera so poss the rosette neb?

Alexxx

With the 200P and the 1000D you will not gwt the whole of the Rosette nebula in the feild of view, so it will appear cropped. How about the Pin wheel galaxy M101 or the Leo triplet?

With the 200P and the 1000D you will not gwt the whole of the Rosette nebula in the feild of view, so it will appear cropped. How about the Pin wheel galaxy M101 or the Leo triplet?

Both very nice, thank you. There's website that allows you to see what you would get in view with scope and camera but I don't have it. Does anyone??

Archived