Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 my target for tonight

Tom_m7117

I think M51 might be tricky tonight with the bright moon. I'd try about 10.30 pm if you want to give it a go, when it should start to get a decent height in the sky and before the moon gets very high.

I've not yet learnt the art of star hopping, so can't help there, hopefully someone else can?

Yep, just go the end star of the plough handle and down towards Cor Corioli, about a Telrad and a 1/4.

You'll pick up some fuzz and detail with a 25 mm ep. It is very much dependant on seeing conditions. Light pollution will give you just M51 and signs of NGC 5195. You might be lucky in the 200 to see more detail at x100. Best that I've seen is dust lanes, shapes and the 'connecting ' (although they're not) between the galaxies.

It's a fine sight through a 10-12" Dob,

Nick.

It will be much easier to observer when higher up and of course with no moon! Do you use a star atlas or book - something like turn left to orion - this will give good directions to a host of objects in aiding your search. Good luck with m51.

andrew

M81 & M82 should be a better bet than M51, much higher up early on. You could try M42 in Orion, M35 in Gemini, M36, M37 and M38 in Auriga, NGC457 the Owl Cluster in Cassiopeia, M31 the Andromeda galaxy in Andromeda, the Double Cluster (NGC869) in Perseus, and Jupiter is nice and high in Taurus. I'm hoping to catch a look at all those tonight and hopefully they'll look decent despite the moon!

Have a good session!

It will be much easier to observer when higher up and of course with no moon! Do you use a star atlas or book - something like turn left to orion - this will give good directions to a host of objects in aiding your search. Good luck with m51.

andrew

Next week will be better, if it is clear (fat chance!)

The Moon will be out of the way by then.

M81 and M82 are perennial favourites, and easily seen from my back garden. However, I have draw a blank so far on every occasion I have tried to find M51.Im hoping that when I eventually find it that subsequent sighting will be somewhat easier. I have similar woes with M101 as well. Perseverence is called for methinks! That or a trip out into the sticks.

Dave.

M81 and M82 are perennial favourites, and easily seen from my back garden. However, I have draw a blank so far on every occasion I have tried to find M51.Im hoping that when I eventually find it that subsequent sighting will be somewhat easier. I have similar woes with M101 as well. Perseverence is called for methinks! That or a trip out into the sticks.

Dave.

M51 is less bright than m81 m82 and will be easier to spot when higher up in a dark sky. M101 is harder again - you really need dark transparent skies - it could even be in your field of view and you might not know it's there!

andrew

i saw m51 last night(have seen before) and it was really faint due to the moon.i would wait a week until the moon is well out of the way and you will have a much better view

It's an easy find once you know exactly where to look. Go to the end star of the handle in Ursa Major. You'll see 2 stars below that run in a line SE - go to the mid star. Then in your finder, pan a little downwards and to the left from that star until you locate a triangle of faint stars in your finder. The galaxy will be right beside one of the corner stars of the triangle. Once you done it the once you will find it every time - even in relatively poorer sky conditions.

Archived