Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yay - First Night success!

Wow - My first night of observing on Sunday night and I haven't been so excited since... well since I opened the box!! Just a few experiences to share with you:

When I spotted the Moon rising and just past full, I knew it wasn't ideal for observing, but at least that meant it wasn't raining or cloudy for a change. My chance! I put my telescope outside on a garden table to cool down and lowered light levels to get my eyes more accustomed, while I found night mode on star walk (iPad). I played with that for a few minutes, but when I realised nearly all the planets were 'round the back', I decided to rely on the Mk1 Eyeball for target ID this time.

About 10.30pm I was wrapped up and outside setting up. I used the red dot finder for the first time, which I had tried to zero in daylight on a distant treetop. It is simple and effective, although I seem to have run out of altitude adjustment on the wheel. So I had to look slightly low to get on target, which defeats the object a bit. I resolved to check collimation and have a proper adjustment in the daylight...

Never mind the Moon, my first ever target was Jupiter, high up south west! I found it with the 25mm EP, then tried with the Barlow, then with the 10mm EP. I got a suprisingly good view of the large creamy disc of the planet. After a bit of focussing I could see 2 brown bands, slightly higher than centre, the 4 moons looking so pin-point bright. The whole group kept moving across the field of view like an express train, so I had to keep nudging to over-correct and see it for a few more moments. Spellbinding!

It was weird getting used to nudging, which seemed to be the opposite way to logic, but I think I will get used to it quickly. My garden is quite sheltered on the north east of the house, so I was quite warm enough and I have a good view on the other three sides.

My next target was the pale blob on the Sword of Damocles in Orion. The moonlight was only allowing sight of the brightest stars, but I found it - and I am sure I could see a kind of cloud there. Next was Beteguise. I was expecting this to be redder and it did not look like much.

On to Aldebaran, then a bit higher for a fruitless try on Vesta (my ambition is to see this one night, but patience!), then past Jupiter to another blob on the right, which was an amazing cluster of stars.

I had a quick break inside and tried to use Star Walk on the iPad again (in red mode), but I am not sure how useful it is. You can turn quite a few degrees from one side to the other - and still see the same stars shown, so it would be hard to use it to locate anything.

I was tempted to look at the Moon now, though I knew it would probably ruin my night vision. Blimey, it was bright. There was a very slight ripple around the edges, but a wonderous sight and great detail, with different eyepieces. There is a really bright white bit high and centre, which looks too white to be Moon. Looking away, I could see the difference between my good night vision in my left eye - and my ruined right. Doh. I think I saw something about a Moon filter somewhere, or I could use the cellophane wrapper from one of those yellow Quality Street toffees ;-)

Then the cloud came in quickly and I thought I had better pack up. Goodness knows what the neighbours thought, with some bloke in the garden saying 'Oh yeah, Woa, Yes - there...'

Oops! Here's to the next time. Night all...

Yes, I will definitely invest in a Moon filter - and have a play with Stellarium before I get out again. I am sure there will be a darker clear night soon and I will have another go at finding Vesta. Wish me luck.

Since then, we have had cloud and rain... with a forecast of more cloud and rain. Hey-ho!

My collimator cap arrived today, so maybe I can have a go at that while I am waiting.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Meanwhile my collimator cap has arrived, so I will have a pla

Hi Tony

Glad you enjoyed your first night observing, sounds like you packed a lot in. By the way (and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it) but the 'sort of cloud' you saw on the sword of Orion was the Orion Nebula!

hope you get more clear skies and keep the bug!

Archived