Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Reticle eyepiece

I think I bought mine from skies the limit. Cost about £35 as far as I recall, for a 12mm illuminated reticle eyepiece. It's not what I'd call outstanding quality, but it does the job I want it for.

James

I mostly use it for centering planets in the eyepiece before swapping to a camera for imaging. It works fine for that, though I often don't even bother focusing it as long as I can see a bright blob in the field of view.

To be honest, it's mostly fine. The only thing I'm not keen on about it is that to bring the reticle into focus you need to turn a threaded section on the top of the eyepiece to unscrew it four or five millimetres and it feels a bit loose when you do. I'm sure a bit of PTFE tape would fix that though.

James

I've got the same as what James has, sometimes they crop up on eBay 99p start & in some cases go for around a tenner. That said they aren't great quality but I just use mine for doing a star alignment & it's plenty good enough for that.

• 7 months later...

I made one by gluing hairs across the field stop of a 25mm Plossl EP. The EP cost £12 from the seconds cabinet at Orion's store in Cupertino.

Chris

I find that ginger hair helps by showing up orange through the EP, perhaps not effecting your night vision

Archived