SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finderscope

As a relative beginner I find the 6x30 finderscope on my skymax 127 synscan az goto very uncomfortable to use. I have to get down on my knees to use it, and at my age, the getting back up isnt easy. Would members recommend an erect image finderscope as an alternative. I have asked at the shop who say an adaptor is not available and I would have to buy the complete finderscope.

in your case,i would absolutely recommend you to get the erect image finderscope.And that is correct,there are no adaptors.

You are after this one:http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-9-x-50-right-angled-finderscope_d2906.html

alternatively you can try and look out for a second hand one,but the chances are relatively slim to find one.

A bit of a daft question here, but have you got your tripod legs fully extended? Im just wondering why you need to get on to your knees? If it is a right angled finder you are after any of the above would work. I would probably upgrade to the 9x50. Alternatively have you looked at a red dot finders?

If you can I would defiitely go for the 9x50. I have recently purchesed a new scope that came with such and it's made things massively easier. My old 9x30 experiences told me that I was better off starhopping than using the finder which, for the smaller ones at least, are often difficult to align and move around unpredictably. Since I've had the 50 I find myself spending far less time hunting and much more time looking / imaging!

You will definitely benefit from a right angled finder - may as well get the corrected image version while you're at it. I don't know whether the 9x50 would be too heavy for your skymax - I upgraded from 6x30 and it makes a big difference.

The main disadvantage with this type of finder is that you are not looking along the line of sight of the telescope any more, which makes it less intuitive to locate objects. This is why most people will recommend supplementing a RACI with a Telrad, so you can line up the scope in the right area by line of sight, then move to the RACI for star hopping. If you do get a telrad you could consider getting a riser plate which again might makes it more comfortable to use.

Archived