SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1st Light at long last!

Icey85

Good evening all,

Wow! Now i know everyone must come on here and burble away at how awesome their first light experience with a 'proper' scope is, but wow!!

The 150pds arrived a few weeks back and this is the first time we've had anything approachng a clear sky,and certainly the first time Ive been without work commitments.

I could see clouds were on the way so very roughly pointed the polar North, and swung straight for Jupiter......oh my goodness! There she was - in front of my very own eyes with my very own 'scope! And with her Ganymede,Io,Europa and ( though i wasnt 100% at the time- thinking it could just be a rather neatly aligned distant star) Callisto. Even surface detail in the planet was - not much detail by anymeans , but if you were to look at the viewfinder image in isolation you could tell it was jupiter.

Oh , the standard 28mm SW that came with the OTA used to locate, and detail view with my thus far only other eyepiece - BST Explorer 8mm (starguider)

Then i had a quick little hunt around Orion and M42 - tick ! The Trapezium showed - to my eye clear separation. (well 3 of the 4 at least!)

Not forgeting a quick glance at the moon- nice :)

So, notwithstanding some issues with my motors not auto tracking as expected, all in all a very happy bunny!

Roll on many more clear skies, one and all!

Archived