Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Double Kick Drum

Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs - Heads Up

Same here broke my bad luck hunting and got andromeda and the comet nearly in the same field last night with my 10 x50 bins. Now i know where i should have been looking I'll hopefully have another chance with the scope when i get home.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I got lucky about the 15th and was quite happy to have seen it then but I've just arrived on the Isle of Wight which I remember had quite good sky last time I visited. So I've bought my binoculars hoping for another go. And the forecast looks good :) Fingers crossed.

Still awaiting my first sighting of the comet, clouds always in the wrong place/time. Thought I had cracked it today lovely afternoon sunny no cloud, 5'o clock still clear, 6'o clock still clear, 6.30 another look still clear but slightly worried about signs of cloud in the east surely not again! 7.00 the clouds roll in again, no longer funny. Still there' tomorrow night and Wed has a good forecast. Moan over with.

will I have any chance of seeing it after dark with the scope?, I just had a look in the direction of andromeda and could see plenty of stars but nothing comet-like to

will I have any chance of seeing it after dark with the scope?, I just had a look in the direction of andromeda and could see plenty of stars but nothing comet-like to

You definitely will! Just been out there in my garden with binocs, and the comet is considerably easier to see than andromeda and is still fairly high in the sky from where I am in Suffolk.

Yup I got my second view :) Much fainter than the last time I saw it and not even bothering to picture it as I only have my camera and nocs. My six n seven year old boys couldn't see it either. But hey I'm chuffed! And the skies over the IOW are sooo nice compaired to Bristol. Might go back out when the boys go to bed :)

Just got in 9.00 - Through the 10x50s it's about 4 degree due south of M31 - and 'easier' to see than the galaxy - though not really dark yet.

andrew

Just got in myself. Had a couple of goes at trying to find it without success. Came in and fired up Stellarium and then went back out. I saw it though my 10 x 50s; it was very low in the NW and looks more smudge like than anything else. No doubt this is due to its low elevation. At least I know where to look now so hopefully get the scope set up and have another go - weather permitting.

easy find tonight up in Dumfries. its now a lot higher in the sky as it was in mid march. down below andromeda galexy and still got a decent fan tail if your out in the dark away from street lights

It was looking lovely tonight. After picking it up with 10x50 binoculars I managed to get my ED120 refractor onto it and, as the light faded from the sky, Panstarrs stood out really well with my 13mm and 8mm Ethos eyepieces. Still a tight nucleus with a close halo of light around it and then the tail fanning out in a classic "V" shape with I slight curve to it I fancy. A really "comet" looking comet, this one :smiley:

Just got in 9.00 - Through the 10x50s it's about 4 degree due south of M31 - and 'easier' to see than the galaxy - though not really dark yet.

andrew

Agree. Caught my first sight of the thing at 20:47 hrs. Finally!

Slightly brighter and more condensed (mag. 3.5 - 4.0?) than M31 in my 15x70s, with a stubby tail. The five inch revealed more of the tail: a lovely sight indeed.

Nice to see it in close proximity to M31. I think it is at its closest on the 4th April.

Sad I didn't catch it at its best but.... better late than never.

This is my first attempt at the comet. It was on a tripod so was not being tracked, so I thought I'd try a movie. Not brilliant though. I'm currently working on subs I took last night but having problems!

Alexxx

Comet Movie adj.wmv

This is a cropped image I took last night. 6x30 subs at 800 ISO + darks - any more subs and the core of the comet streaks. I must get rid of that vignetting! Awful lens, but the only 200mm I have. I'll try flats next time.

Alexxx

Comet - 6 x 30 sec subs + Darks adj cropped r.tif

Edited by Astrosurf

Alex, shame we missed you at the airfield last night - there were 2 of us battling in the cold windy bit! Good view of Panstarrs though :grin:

You were there?! Oh no! I think CNAAG likes it where we were so we might well go there in future. So sorry I missed you.

Thats the second night on a row for me tonight. I saw it a little later tonight and it was clearly visible in the same fov with M31. Nice. I just wish I had my scope with me!

Same here, a bit closer again to M31 from last night. Also managed a look with the telescope before the trees interfered. The coma is bright and very stellar.

andrew

Finally seen it !! After weeks of clouds in the wrong place it was relatively easy tonight to see Panstarrs from our village which has no street lights to pollute the night sky :) This is the first easily visible comet since we got our celestron 4SE so great to see it thru that as well as with the bins/ A beautiful sight with the tail so clearly visible.

And the same here. Nice view next to M31 in binoculars at about 9:30. Will try and get the telescope on it tomorrow.