Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs - Heads Up

And if it is veiwable could someone please point out exactly where i should be looking in relation to my horizon, thanks

Difficult to tell but I would be looking somewhere by that tree towards the bottom right of the picture.

Looks like that is where the sun set and the comet should be above there.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I was going to post something philosophical about how nice it is to feel optimistic about the weather, it was a pleasant enough feeling yesterday morning.

Oh well, I never was much of a Socrates anyway.

Same here. :sad:

By the time I get a clear Western horizon, the thing will be down to something feinter than magnitude 6 and will definitely need binoculars.... or more.

I keep getting clear skies above and cloud ALL round the horizon! I'm going to try as often as I can, even driving miles up to higher ground. I will NOT be beaten!

I keep getting clear skies above and cloud ALL round the horizon! I'm going to try as often as I can, even driving miles up to higher ground. I will NOT be beaten!

Same here. I keep walking out to check the western horizon every evening around sunset, and it hasn't been clear at all since the 7th or so. :mad:

I got my second view yesterday around 19:30-19:45 (around 18:30-18:45 UK time). It was between 12 and 15 degrees from the horizon to the left and down from the near vertical line formed by Andromeda. Still mag 2-ish I would say. Bins were required (10x50 did the job, the 15x70 was better).

Possible Panstarrs sighting at 05:40 this morning on the way to Manchester airport. In between the clouds it was low to the east and quite bright. Did anyone else see it or am I seeing something that wasn't there?

Cheers Tom

it's following the sun down in the evening so will be following the sun up in the morning. I'd have thought impossible in the mornings in the UK. I'm so glad I took the one opportunity I had to see it when it was at it's brightest on 12/3th March. Since then it's been cloudy every day.

The pics here are the closest ive ever got to seeing it yet. Still cloudy, cold and blowing a gale. No snow however (yet).

Whats the betting that the sky will clear when its below naken eye visibilty?

Possible Panstarrs sighting at 05:40 this morning on the way to Manchester airport. In between the clouds it was low to the east and quite bright. Did anyone else see it or am I seeing something that wasn't there?

Cheers Tom

Stellarium shows Panstarrs up before the sunrise at 05:40 this morning.

Jim

LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME........and again...LAME!!

I've been out a dozen or so times now out the town to get a decent view of the horizon, not a scratch as I've had the 'luck' of the only clouds inthe sky occupying that patch! Then for the past 2 weeks it's been a total grey out, I even jumped for joy at the sight of the moon last night, it's been THAT bad round here.

I'm sure AN and S@N will regail us with tales of success replete with readers images, so much for the 'year of the comets'. I know it's not their fault, but just some realism added into their mags would go a long way imo.

It's been utter failure for me so far and I'm on the verge of giving up, I'll find it no doubt in a few weeks as a tiny spec through the dob. As for ISON....meh, my hopes are so low if it even turns up it'll be the second coming.

Sounds like we're a bit luckier with the weather here in Denmark, at least at the moment. On the 15th, I managed to catch this grainy pic through a 300mm lens from a snowy beach on the North coast of the island. A strategically-placed bit of cloud in an otherwise clear sky nearly scuppered me, but it got out of the way just before the comet set. At such a low angle, it wasn't an easy spot, but once you had it, the tail was obvious in 7x42 bins.

post-23158-0-03665700-1364317444_thumb.j

A clear evening again tonight, so I'm just getting ready for another excursion (unfortunately, trees to the west of my back garden mean that I need to travel). Wish you could all share the sky with us here - except that from late October to early March, it was pretty much overcast without a break. That, I wouldn't wish on anyone :)

I'm sure AN and S@N will regail us with tales of success replete with readers images, so much for the 'year of the comets'. I know it's not their fault, but just some realism added into their mags would go a long way imo.

I haven't seen it either, yet.

I don't think it has been a dissappointment for those that have spotted it. I am just annoyed that cloud cover has blighted any attempt on it for me. I have no doubt that as soon as I get my scope trained on it, the comet will look more impressive than any other I have seen.

I'm now keeping my fingers crossed for early April. It would be nice to see it in close proximity to M31, the Andromeda galaxy.

I haven't seen it either, yet.

I don't think it has been a dissappointment for those that have spotted it. I am just annoyed that cloud cover has blighted any attempt on it for me. I have no doubt that as soon as I get my scope trained on it, the comet will look more impressive than any other I have seen.

I'm now keeping my fingers crossed for early April. It would be nice to see it in close proximity to M31, the Andromeda galaxy.

as above from double kick drum completly obscured by cloud not a peek nowt but for those who have seen it well done i will keep at it and hopefully see her soon

Archived